Reason
Other
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Edmonton
been a while since I've posted... a quick question...
probably a silly question. I pretty much already know the answer, but for clarification purposes...
can you perform the Babinski test on yourself? because on my weak side, my big toe is curling up when I do it... on the other side, it's going down.
any thoughts?

thanks.

?
I'm really curious.
thanks.

I don't think its possible to execute any type of reflex properly by yourself, much less the Babinski reflex. You would need to position the foot properly, use the right kind of tool/object, apply the right kind of pressure, and execute it properly along the plantar surface of your foot. Just out of curiosity, I tried doing this reflex my self and boy was it a mess. I think this type of stuff should be handled by a neurologist or someone that is familiar with it.

Anything I've seen says you can't do it yourself. Even if you had a friend do it I'd wonder if they were hitting the right spot. Get a Doc to do it. That's what they get paid the big bucks for.

AL.

thanks guys. I mean, I figured as much.

Landau, I have even read that doctor's themselves have difficulty testing this particular reflex (and interpreting the results-much more complicated than just looking to see where that big toe points). So far, I have had 3 doctors just do a cursory attempt at eliciting a response (there was none whatsoever), and then I had the 4th one practically do handstands and cartwheels to try and get some response. Her tenacity was amazing, and made me wonder about all the other docs who tried once and stopped. As for testing our own reflexes, many of us have tried it, even if we don't admit it, but you should just leave it to the doctors!

Lydia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back