Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Santa Barbara
I saw my GP yesterday to touch base with him and pick up some medical records before I go to UCLA next week for evaluation. I am also supposed to go by the neurologist's office and pick up his records this week. The GP did have a brief report from the neurologist that summarized the EMG testing results:

"I performed an extensive NCV/EMG study of all 4 limbs on June 3, 2009. The NCV study was normal except for a mildly low amplitude left peroneal CMAP and absent peroneal sensory responses bilaterally. Repeat stimulations were normal. EMG examination of the limbs revealed fasciculations in all 4 limbs, some polyphagia in scattered muscles but no fibrillations or positive sharp waves, and no obvious giant motor units."

This sounds pretty good to me, better than the impression I had received from talking with him. I am confused about polyphagia. Wikipedia says "In medicine, polyphagia (sometimes known as hyperphagia) is a medical sign meaning excessive hunger and abnormally large intake of solids by mouth." Hmmm. Perhaps I should not have insisted on eating an entire ham during the examination.

Just kidding about the ham. Can anyone here shed light on what this might mean?

Not sure what that means but the fact that you don't have PSW's and Fib's is a good thing, you should relax knowing that.

It looks to me like the absence of fibs, psw's and giant motor unit potentials points away from ALS. Congratulations!

Zaphoon

That ham bit had me burst out laughing:p

I believe he is referring to something like polyphasic (?) or something like that...perhaps he is putting his own uniquely personal spin on medical-speak (as if it needed more complicating). If I was still under the spell of all the wonders that google has to offer I would look it up for you but I am finally free from that obsession, knock on wood.

Lydia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back