Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
I need advice as to whether or not I should be concerned about my mother. Today we went to the pediatrician's office because my daughter was sick. She was sitting with her legs crossed and I happened to look down at her foot. The left side had literally three bones protruding that were a little bit smaller than dimes. I felt them and I couldn't feel any muscle over top of them. I can't even feel those bones on my own feet. Then I noticed her toes on her left foot. Her fourth toe has shrunk to be smaller than her pinky toe...noticeably smaller. It is not like this on her right foot. However, it is a normal length again whenever she stands up or puts weight on that foot. I told her to go to the doctor and she blew me off and said that I was looking for problems. I asked her if she has been experiencing weakness and she told me no. She goes to the gym at least 3 to 4 days a week and goes walking long distances regularly. I asked her if she has been tripping at all and she said no. I know her fourth toe has not always been like that because we have had many pedicures over the years. I also don't like the fact that I can feel her bones. Do you think that if this was due to something like ALS or another neurological disease that she would have serious weakness if it had gotten to the point of atrophy and her toes shrinking? What have been your experiences with foot atrophy? I'd really appreciate other's opinions. Thank you.

I understand that Osteoarthritis usually begins in the fingers or toes. It sounds like something like that to me. It doesn't in the least sound like symptoms of ALS. Ask a doctor to take a look and try not to worry.

if her legs were atrophy'd she definately would feel the weakness...which u say she doesnt...and on top of that she is a regular gym visitor 4 times a week!....dont worry it might be something else but not ALS.

I have never heard of anyones foot atrophy. Swelling yes but not atophy. Even if that was a possibility her legs would be so weak she would not be able to walk.

Thank you for the reassurance. Has anyone experienced shrinking of the toes and muscles without considerable weakness? Here I was thinking my own body had so many things that were atypical and then I saw my mom's feet.

One more thing...Are muscle contractures painful? Could this cause her fourth toe to shrink in length? She's not experiencing any pain in her legs or feet.

Thank you for the reassurance. Has anyone experienced shrinking of the toes and muscles without considerable weakness? Here I was thinking my own body had so many things that were atypical and then I saw my mom's feet.

Why does atrophy occur? Because the muscles get so weak from non-use that they begin to decrease in mass. If shrinking were due to als, there would have been noticeable weakness and trips or falls before it got to that point. There would be no way she would be able to keep up her current gym routine or take walks, let along long ones. Peoples’ feet normally become more bony and ligaments become more visible with age. Feet (especially toes) have very little meat on them to begin with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back