Reason
Other
Country
US
State
az
City
sahuarita
From what I gathered, ALS seems to be diagnosed after excluding all other possibilities. That being said, can having cervical spodylosis (bulging disc C5-C6) and a lumbar spondylothesis(L5-S1 with severe stenosis) exclude ALS? I was diagnosed with these coexisting degenerative disc problems three years ago, but I'm having issues with chronic muscle pain and stiffness in all four limbs, in addition to upper and lower back pain. I presented to a neuro about three years ago with general stiffness and muscle twitches in both of my legs. He did EMG (normal), MRI brain (normal), and cervical spine (C5-C6 disc bulge). What worries me is that the muscle pain and stiffness has progressed into both of my arms simultaneously. Does ALS present itself as such? Is it possible for limb onset to start out as leg stiffness in both legs and then move into both arms at the same time a few years later. I can't say that I experience any weakness other than just general fatigue. I don't have problems lifting things, walking, or buttoning clothes, etc. I'm just hoping my spine condition is really what's behind all of my chronic muscle pain and I can dismiss ALS. Oh by the way, I forgot to mention I am a 37 year old male in relatively good health (other than the back problems). As for ALS, i was under the impression that it starts out as weakness in one limb and then moves to the next and so on. I would greatly appreciate anyone who can share their knowledge and experiences on how ALS progresses. I want to finally end this constant state of worry I've been under. Thanks and God Bless you all.

AB

nly+
en
th ste

AB

AB you do not have ALS. Your symptoms all point to the disc problems. I think you need a back surgeon not a neurologist.

AL.

thanks for the reply. my family basically thinks I'm crazy because I'm insisting that I think something more serious is causing my problems. can you explain how limb onset als starts. does it just basically start in one arm/hand or one leg/foot until that limb is completely weak and then it moves to the next limb? when does a person feel all the muscle pain and stiffness associated with als? does it come on before the weakness or after? i kind of got freaked out when i read somewhere that the effects of cervical spondylosis can mimic the symptoms of als. thanks for having the patience to answer my questions.

ab

AB..please go back and search my posts (tag0620)

My husband was diagnosed with als because of a drop foot, muscle atrophy, weakness, widespread fasciculations, dirty emg in the lumbo sacral and thoracic paraspinal muscles, etc.

Turns out it was all from a severe stenosis of l5/s1 and ultimately a herniated disk at t6/t7 that they just operated on when it got to the point of very near paralysis. We had a HUGE fight to prove the als diagnosis wrong once it was out there...you don't want to focus on that one.

Get fixed if they'll do it so that you can hopefully set your mind at rest...but yes...what you have CAN present just as it is and if I were a betting woman..I'd say the Dr.'s are right on with the c5/c6 and l5/s1 ruling (although I'm no Dr...just speaking from OUR experiences)! You don't want to go down the road that we had to!

Tracy

What does the C5/6 rule out? I asked for a cervical MRI, the neurologist said it would not cause my problems(that part of the spine). I still wonder.

What does the C5/6 rule out? I asked for a cervical MRI, the neurologist said it would not cause my problems(that part of the spine). I still wonder.

Interesting that your neurologist would say that. My neuro. just Tuesday said that stenosis in the cervical area could cause problems all the way down the spinal cord. He ordered an MRI of my cervical spine.

Interesting Archie, do you have any calf atrophy or foot drop?Do you have a clean EMG?

Dear AB,
Your symptoms DO sound like consequences of your already existing condition. Cervical spondylosis can call ALL kinds of havoc. Good luck to you.
Melody

interesting..and i dont want to be a damp squid here but..........first i had spinal stenosis, changed to cervical myelopathy......great i thought they can operate and do some good..but no. these things where not causng my symptoms, although cervical myelopathy can most deffinately cause them..so i have the upper motor neuron syndrome.....and the neuros dont know why....anyway i read or heard somewhere that infact cervical probs can actually be a symptom not the problem.......i.e. caused by my umnsyndrome...sure is a tough game this diagnosis busines..............round and round in circles you go.......johnny......

Interesting Archie, do you have any calf atrophy or foot drop?Do you have a clean EMG?

Doc says he sees no atrophy, I have no foot drop. But I do have 2 dirty leg and 1 dirty arm EMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back