bart1

Country
bel
State
Brussels
City
Brussels
Hi,

Are there pals who had shoulder onset first? Was there pain involved before weakness in the shoulders as onset?

Thank you

bart what will it take you to understand THAT YOU DONT HAVE ALS......there is no such thing as shoulder onset ..its limb onset...i have told u before and so has your doc its BCFS....why dont u believe in what he told you he is there for some reason and more qualified than any of us out here...so relax and drop it...and for that pain see ur doc.

Millinero,
There is a shoulder girdle onset of ALS; but it still considered as limb onset.
"Initial presentation and patient complaints — Asymmetric limb weakness is the most common presentation of ALS (80 percent). Upper extremity onset is most often heralded by hand weakness but may begin in the shoulder girdle muscles. Patients with hand weakness may complain that they drop things and have difficulty performing fine motor tasks such as pinching, writing, typing, managing buttons or zippers, and picking up small objects such as coins and paper clips. Patients with shoulder girdle weakness may report difficulty using their arms above the head in activities such as washing, drying, or combing their hair as well as lifting things above their head."
Cookie

Give it a rest you guys!

Pretty soon you are going to start saying that a tooth ache is early onset.

Cookie it doesnt matter to me even if there is ...what matters is Bart does not have ALS....so please dont add to his already exaggerated fears

Hi,

I went to the substitute of my GP(because my actual gp is on holiday) and told him about my arm/shoulder pain. He thinks the pain could come from my neck but isn't sure. He said I didn't have clinical features of ALS and should have obvious weakness if this kind of pain is involved. But then I start thinking, how should he know, he probably hasn't ever seen a pal.

However I sent an email to my neuro who specializes in MND and even does research. He wrote me that severe muscle pain doesn't fit the classic onset pattern of ALS. I had an appointment with him on 28th August but he rescheduled it for me on 18th August. Is this to worry?

Thanks

Bart relax ....i also do get pain and some times unbearable, in my thighs,calfs and back....but thats due to what i have been diagnosed for and its not ALS(ITS PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY).....so dont worry and just like u i also take ibuprofen,oxalgin etc...so dont make it a criteria do diagnosed urself as i already told u its not PAIN that docs look for to diagnosed ALS ....and as far as that appointment on the 18th is concerned dont be worried....go through it and i know and so do u its not MND .
cheers!

Bart,

You are free to worry all you'd like but I'd advise against it. ALS is a motor neuron disease, not a sensory nerve disorder. What you would feel with a motor neuron disease is weakness, stiffness, and spasms.

A pinched nerve is one probable cuase for the type of pain you have.

Zaphoon

Last edited:
Hey Bart1,

Many years ago I had symptoms like that and I went to a massage therapist. Seems I had a buildup of scar tissue in the base of my neck that was affecting the nerves to my right arm. After 5 weekly massages , the problem was solved, and that issue never came back.

Just a thought , and massages feel good too.

Glen,

That was a remarkable post! Very wise on your part to try the massage therapy as a means of taking care of that problem.

Zaphoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back