bart1

Country
bel
State
Brussels
City
Brussels
I all,

I posted my story here once before: 20 month of twiching (24/7 calves + random), minor calves cramps. Lately more crampy hand and arm feelings.

Now this week I started to have very severe right arm (bicep, forearm) and shoulder (muscle ) pain. But really bad because I take pain killers for it. I don't know what's causing it (did not hurt myself, just came out of the blue)
I'm thinking this could be the onset of ALS. Would I have weakness if this is the case? And how do you notice the weakness, is it really clear weakness from the beginning.
I stil can raise dumbells equally.

Hope to find some answers,
thank you

Hey Bart1,

You would not be getting that kind of pain with ALS.

With ALS , that weakness would show up as having to strain more to hang on to the dumbell , or not being able to lift it.

The pain, is indicative or something though and you should seek a doctors help.

Glen

It looks like it is something other than ALS onset to me, too.

I would suggest a visit to your GP and clearing your mind of any thoughts of ALS.

What kind of pain killers are you taking?

PZ

Bart,

Just to share my similar symptoms-For more than 2 years, I have the "usual assortment" of symptoms: twitching, cramps, etc...I had left side weakness in arm and leg that was painless. Then my left elbow started to hurt like crazy. I would pop motrin to deal with it and in a pinch was known to grab a few pills from friends (the kind with the orange sticker on the bottle). My doctor said "tennis elbow". Mind you, I wasn't "doing" any activities that could be pointed to as the cause of tennis elbow. Now I will experience shoulder pain, but on both sides, not just left. I think that as a result of my weakness, regardless of what is causing it, I am straining my elbow and shoulders by doing ordinary tasks and that the more I do the more I hurt. Taking it easy and pacing myself helps tremendously. But still, it is not a MND. So my point is, don't let this onset of pain drag you to the dark side of MND fears. Did you go to a doctor about it yet? Just go if you haven't.

Lydia

hi! Bart.... u dont get that sort of muscular pain with ALS....muscle pain and cramps can be due to so many varied reasons....have u had any blood work done...i strongly suggest that u do....coz this pain scenario seems familiar i had it too along with twitching for over an year and was later diagnosed with autoimmune disorder.

hi all,

Thank you for your answers.
I'm taking Ibuprofen (I don't know how it's called in English)
I haven't been to my GP because he's on holiday for 3 weeks :-(
I had my blood work done when the twitching started 20 months ago and in January as my yearly check-up, everything fine there
It started a few weeks ago with crampy feelings in thumb, hand, forearm. Now it's really hurting (like knife pain) in shoulder, shoulder blade and forearm, really weird. I feel like my shoulder has more tickling (little twitches) feelings and twitches and this freaks me out.
Could it be due to something in my back, but as for as I now I haven't done anything intensive or unusual.

I would like to add that I've been to a professor in MND three weeks ago for the hand cramping (I saw him a couple of times over the past 20 months, every time he did a clinical). He still didn't seem to think it had anything to do with als, however the pain started after I saw him :-(

well as far as that pain is concerned dont bother , as pain is not associated with MND in the initial stage ...muscles do pain but thats in the late stage of MND and by that time u get really weak....and as far as cramps are concerned they could be due to as i said varied reasons BCFS being one of them...by the way have had an EMG yet ?

I got 2 EMG's , but they were in the both in the first 2 months of twitching. Both normal (only fascics). Dx BCFS.

and even if u go now and have a fresh one diagnosed wont be any different.....trust ur doc it is BCFS...relax and keep rasing the dumbells! :)

Thanks, but I read in some posts over here some pals had severe muscle pain prior to diagnosed ,as one of their first symptoms.
Is this possible? Neuro always told me there was no muscle pain in early als stages

Severe muscle pain in early ALS is not normally a symptom. Pain from muscle cramps can be but is usually quick, intense and doesn't last long if you do something to counteract it.

AL.

Thank you al, It' so weird why I'm having this pain in my arm. Nothing - ibuprofen, reflex gel - seems to help

Bart the best person to answer that question would be your doc....so please relax and get an appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back