Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
UT
City
Clearfield
I am a 33 year old female that is having strange symptoms. I have cramping in my left foot and weakness in left arm and leg. Currently scheduled to have an EMG seeing a neurologist regarding this.

I have had an MRI and neck scan and all was clear. Have had all blood work done and all was fine. I was told the EMG is horrible, but wonder if I want to go throught this test. My partner is concerned because I am weaker on my left and seem to be getting worse with some twitches under my skin.

Left eye twitches and wake in the night with a feeling of choking... any advice or information

Thank you

Hi Dolphinshowell,

I have had progressive muscle weakness that started last winter, twitching, muscle cramps, stiffness, and most recently, the beginnings of muscle atrophy in my hands, forearms, and wrists, along with extreme fatigue, particularly after physical activity. Many of the symptoms seemed to me to be consistent with ALS. I had the NCV and EMG tests on June 23 and just found out that both are normal and are not indicative of ALS or other neuromuscular diseases. I am still awaiting tests for multiple sclerosis and a second visit to the neurologist to get to the bottom of this peculiar illness. Apparently, there are many others in this part of the forum who have symptoms that might appear to point to ALS, but after further testing, do not. Many people have remained undiagnosed for some time.

I did not find either the NCV or the EMG to be painful at all; at most, it was uncomfortable. I barely felt the needles when they were inserted, except for one time in my calf, when I had a spasm.

I would say definitely go ahead and get those tests. If they are negative, they will give you enormous peace of mind, as well as information for the doctor to determine what is next. Both tests also are used to diagnose many other conditions other than ALS.

Just try to relax and you will be fine. Good luck!

Sandra

Thank you Sandra for your feedback... Yeah the test he said he would make his loved one have it and he stated that he is sure it is not MS after the MRi and other test, but wants to test for ALS due to the rigidty that happens to my left and I am about 50% weaker on my left and this is my dominant side.

I will not have the test until I get back from vacation so I am just relaxed, but I am young and have two kids and notice that this side of my body is just not happy...

Thank you again and I wish you nothing but luck with your symptoms as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back