Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
in
City
martinsville
Just wondering about EMG/NVC my wife had done Friday June 26.

Brief History.
Wifes father had ALS, lived 7 years or so after diagnosis, passed away 6 years ago. Her grandmother died 37 years ago, had a diagnosis of MS and that has since been questioned if she could have been misdiagnosed and actually had ALS. Just found out that her Dad's brother started testing for ALS in the past 2-6 months. She went in to her Dr. June 16. He told us all symptoms point to earl stages ALS. My question is about the NVC portion of the test. She didn't feel as much on left side and he had to up power more on that side. Does anyone know if that is normal/abnormal/indifferent? She has to do the NVC on legs next Friday, she had lotion on, and we won't get any feedback until after that. Can't stand the wait. I spend most of my day at work reading up on ALS. The more I read the more worried I get. Promised myself I would quit researching until after we get more info. Lied to myself.

Worried about the familial aspect because she has 4 kids. 2 teenage daughters from first marriage and 2 little boys with me. Sorry for the rambling. Any info would be appreciated.

If it is ALS, and it is the familial type, then my prayers will be with your entire family. It will take the grace of the Lord to get you through everything you will go through.

All I can tell you is that the EMG will have to show multi abnormalities in the muscle reactions. As for the NVC, odds will be more in her favor if she tests positive to sensory abnormalites. In ALS, the motor nerves are affected but the sensory nerves are not.

For all of your sakes, I pray she won't have ALS.

I don't think the NVC is a very good test to find ALS. If I'm not mistaking. It is to rule out other things. I heard that PALS can have hyper sensitive reflexes. Good luck...I hope she is fine.

I was told by a neuro that NCV (you meant NCV - Nerve Conduction Velocity, not NVC ?) is to rule out other conditions. With ALS, NCV would be normal, or almost normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back