Other
Country
US
State
IL
City
Evanston
Hi,

I feel very alone right now and have been for the past month. Right now, my new neuro has said that I have "clinically possible ALS" based on the fact that I had abnormal findings in my tricep and forearm of my left arm (I've also noticed atrophy of my left hand but the EMG showed normal findings for my hand and bicep of my left arm). I've also experienced weakness and soreness of my right arm since three days ago. I also experience the following symptoms:

1. Voice is hoarsy and weak at times
2. Shortness of breath (especially in the morning)
3. Muscle twitching everywhere
4. Shooting pains (cramps)
5. Muscle tremors
7. Legs feel weak at times
6. General fatigue

This has all happened in the last 6 weeks and I feel like I'm progressing very rapidly.

I had an MRI of my c-spine which did show a bulging disc in the c6/c7 area (but I doubt that this can explain all of my symptoms).

I'm thinking about breaking the news to my family but am so scared right now. I'm only 26 and feel like the world has come to abrupt end for me. I can't live like this anymore.

Hi ama672,
i am not qualified to give you a reliable answer but as I know, "ALS" does not progress to widespread twitching within 6 weeks. Also the appearance of limb-specific symptoms and bulbar symptoms within 6 weeks is too fast for ALS. As I know, it begins either with limb symptoms or bulbar symptoms.
Who told you that your voice is horsy?
I had all of your symptoms during the last 4 month. I am still twitching everywhere and I think I twitched 50 times all over my body while writing this message....I also got a tremor 5 minutes ago....my neck feels fatigue right now, too... But I don't have ALS!

Tim

You can also have "clinically possible" pinched nerve. Why not fix your thoughts on the possibility of having a pinched nerve (non-life threatening) instead of ALS (a lot worse)?

Zaphoon

Wait a minute....it was only 2 days ago (Friday) you posted your doctor suspected a pinched nerve as a result of the EMG on Tuesday. When did the "clinically possible ALS" come in? Did you see a new doctor or meet with your other doctor again? What happened to change the suspected pinched nerve diagnosed to ALS? You haven't posted the findings from your EMG yet (other than saying "abnormal"); perhaps that will help others here sort out what is happening to you and provide you some peace of mind.

Lydia

I already suspected that you are being less than forthright on here from your earlier posts and now your comment about your neuro giving you a "clinically possible ALS" diagnosis makes me suspicious once again. That has come right out of the blue and doesn't follow what you have been posting at all (as Lydia said). You are either lying or are in desperate need of attention or misunderstood your neuro or are completely out of control or a combination of them. Listen to what people are saying to you on here and RELAX. I'm trying really, really hard to be nice but you are trying my patience.

P.S. You keep saying your EMG is abnormal. I want to see just what is abnormal about it. Post your EMG results on here and post the raw findings, not just the impression of your neuro. I know how to read and interpret them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back