Not open for further replies.

Trevor

Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Cambridge
I've joined this form for some comments on whther I could have ALS not to be a doctor and determine if it is or isn't. I pretty scared of what is happening to my body. I will list what is going on and if anybody could provide any feedback I would much appreciate it.
Symptoms:

Sore throat- feels like lump in lower adams apple
twitching in arms, back, both legs
burning feeling on both arms
loss of muscle- skinny arms
shoulders feel weak and heavy
pain between shoulder blades
very tired all the time
dry mouth with white fiilm inside lips
lots of gas and cramping
I'm been on clonazepam .5mg for 1 year now
joint pain in back
legs feel heavy
losing weight even though I'm eating
fingers and thumbs are sore

Any ideas. My family is giving up on me.
I have a emg scheduled for July 13, 2009 with neuro.
I had one in Feb 2009 and was normal, legs were twitching, diagnosed as fasculations.

I don't see any symptom there that indicates ALS. Not even close.

thank you for your response as it makes feel better. One more question. When I lean over my skin on my breast area just hangs there like flab and when I lean on my left arm it feels like blood rushing to that area and starts to twitch. Again just tell me to move on if you think it is way off ALS and I will move on and think more positve

Sounds like you've definitely got something going on, but again (I'm no doctor) nothing sounds like the onset of ALS to me.

Good luck. Hope you get a correct diagnosed soon.

I'd like to agree with Beth, it doesn't look like a motor neuron disease to me, either. You seem to have enough going on, what with your weight loss and all (although losing weight can be a good thing).

ALS is rare and odds are you probably have something else going on. The sore throat, pain between your shoulders and the burning sensation are not things you would see with motor neuron diseases. Those type of things are associated with sensory nerves.

Please give the doctor some time to figure things out and put your mind at ease regarding ALS for now.

Zaphoon

Thanks for your reply. This is has been going on for awile and I feel so weak and frustrated because I've had lots of tests and nothing has come up.

I concur with the others on the forum: your story does not point towards ALS.

It sounds like a combination of small fiber neuropathy and anxiety to me. Small fiber neuropathies are notorious for escaping detection by EMG's. Diabetes is the most prevalent cause of diagnosed small fiber neuropathies but many others simply go undiagnosed and the cause is never determined (idiopathic). In most of those cases, it is likely autoimmune in nature. It could certainly be any number of other things but I thought I'd give you an alternative so you can fixate on it, rather than ALS.

Relax and let your neuro and the other physician you are seeing, determine what you have. In the meantime, I wouldn't lose any more sleep over ALS because your symptoms simply do not point towards it.

Take care.

Thank you for your comments . It just gets a little scary when my gp calls me a medical myserty (I think it is spelt right) and my blood work always comes back fine.

Wright you seem to be very knowledgable about the whole nerve thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back