11/2008
Country
US
State
ut
City
park city
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to send out an update on Jim!

We got down to the hospital at 6am this morning, they prepped him, and had him rolling down to surgery at 7:30am.

They were very good about updating me throughout the day..which was great...because surgery lasted 8 hours.

The surgeon found me at about 3:30pm. They could not remove his herniated disc endoscopically as we had hoped. They were able to do it as a mini thorocotomy which will be about a 4-6 inch scar (and is the lesser of the other operations). They had to break a rib and collapse his lung...but they were able to remove the herniation without tearing the dural sack which surrounds the spinal cord and holds the spinal fluid....so this was one less thing they didn't have to repair.

Not only is he feisty, sitting up, and drinking a coke....he was able to lift his legs off of the bed using his knees and quad muscles...which he hasn't been able to do for the last several weeks! He's in a bunch of pain (mostly from the broken rib), but is in great spirits!

He will probably remain in critical care through Friday, but should be moved into a normal room after that. I think we are looking at a minimum of 5 days in the hospital, but we are thrilled with what looks to be a successful surgery!

Thank you all for the prayers, I think they've worked miracles for us!

Love to all!
Tracy

Ohhhh Tracy! How wonderful!

I know you and your husband are so relieved! What a way to go from ALS diagnosed to being healed---AAALLL because you were so persistent!

I know he will have to be in some pain and in rehabilitation, but I am so happy for him!

Please tell him how happy we are for him!

You are one dear lady to be dealt with!

Good luck to you and your family!

Dear Tracy,
What great news. Now don't let him over do it with those leg lifts. Tell him not to push too much. Our chiropractor had some sort of spinal surgery last year, and he overdid things and basically undid the benefit of the surgery by being too gungho too soon. Slow and easy please. Prayers are ongoing for your family.
Laurel

That is fantastic! Thank you for updating us. I will pray he has a speedy recovery and all the problems are a thing of the past!

Great news. Keep us posted.

AL.

Tracy, I got up especially early to see if you had posted. I am soooo glad to hear things are going so well. You guys are in such a very special place in your lives right now!

Lydia

Tracy,

Wonderful news! What a relief for you & your husband. I'm sure he will be willing to endure some pain for awhile, considering what he gets in exchange!

Hope you both get lots of rest in the next few days; he will have some "work" to do in the weeks to follow, but I'm sure he is up to the task.

Will continue prayers for a speedy recovery-
Mare

Yippeeeeeeee.. give him a hug, and get a hug from him, Yippppeeeeeeyippppeeeee...Congrats

That is so awesome! Here's wishing Jim a smooth recovery. He sure sounds like an energetic guy doing the leg lifts already. I would just be enjoying the orange juice :)

Robert

Hey Everyone,
Just back from another long day at the hospital. When we got there this morning, physical therapy was in with him trying to get him to stand up...which happened for about 5 seconds until he said he was going to pass out at which point they promptly layed him back down for the day.

They moved him from intensive care into a regular room at about 11:00am, he was eating..so they removed his pain pump (which was making him very dopey and VERY dizzy) and were able to start him on oral pain medication, and he was drinking enough that they removed his IV and just kept the "hookup" on in order to give him medication through it.

He's in a TON of pain from that rib and that chest tube...and unfortunately...to help clear that lung that they had to collapse...he needs to breathe deeply and cough

Not only is his leg function looking good...but I noticed today that his fasciculations are almost non-existent now...this was something that they thought pointed away from the herniation and toward als...take THAT als experts! It's most likely from the herniation!

Anyway..he admitted that he's not going to be ready to go home anytime soon..so I think he does realize how big of a surgery this actually is now!

He's doing really well though (well..that's until the stool softeners that they gave him tonight kick in and he needs to try and get up...YIKES)

I'll update more tomorrow!

Tracy

I'm hoping he has a speedy recovery.

Zaphoon

Just reading your post made me cringe....ouch! Sending wishes his recovery is as smooth as it can be-

Lydia

I am so glad that the surgery went so well....what an incredible journey you have had. So very happy to hear he is improving. All the best to you, keeping you in my prayers.

hi tracy,i have only just read your news.
this is fantastic news and i am so so happy for you both.
the quick leg recovery shows it must have been his back all along.
i wish him all the best for a good recovery.
godbless:razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back