Reason
Other
Country
US
State
New England
City
someplace
Hi again-- those who have read my posts know that I am still waiting for a diagnosis and just had the EMG done. I have zero guidance on anything at this point, so I am looking to you for some answers.

I do not know yet if I have ALS or something else. What I do know is that I have arm weakness and atrophy of the hand/wrist/forearm as part of my symptoms. it's worse on the left side and the weakness is creeping into the right shoulder. My question: is it safe for me to go swimming? Here it is summer and I used to swim a lot, but I haven't done it yet. The weakness in my arms is expressed this way: trouble lifting things like pots and pans (I've burned myself twice this week as a result), needing to use two hands to get a gallon of milk out of the fridge, fatigue after lifting laundry basket. stuff like that. I read online that swimming is one of the recommended exercises for people in the early stages of ALS.

what would be your advice about swimming? is it safe for me to go out and swim at a local lake? How did you gauge your muscle limitations in the beginning?

thanks again--

Sandra

Sandra... swimming is a good exercise for ALS. however, i would advise that you never go unaccompanied or travel out of your depth to a place where you are unable to stand up.

I agree, swimming is good for you, I did it a lot last summer, when my weakness started, but I always had someone nearby and used a noodle...you know, the foam sticks. Did not look as obvious as an inflatable ring and kept me safer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back