Other
Country
US
State
mi
City
farm hls
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking on here for the last 2-3 weeks. I am 27 yrs old and 3 months pregnant. My symptoms started with a continuous twitch on the palm side of my right hand between my pinky and ring finger. It seemed that it would go away when I would flex it. Of course, this twitch led me to the internet where I discovered ALS is associated with muscle twitches. Since then, my twitches have spread to all other parts of my body, especially my legs. They are so bad in my legs, it feels like popcorn popping in them all the time (I mainly notice it when sitting down or laying down). I also feel twithches in my shoulders, back, abdomen, etc. I have also noticed at night, I will wake up (Ive had many sleepless nights over this) and both my arms and my legs are stiff. I also feel stiffness in my right leg and get this dull achy feeling in my right calf muscle. Some days I have it, some I don't. I also have a feeling of weakness in my legs.
I know that you can get leg cramps from being pregnant, as this is my second pregnancy, but the cramps I experienced my first pregnancy are completely different than this.
I have an appt with a neurologist scheduled for next wed and i am just hoping they are able to perform an EMG while being pregnant. I am absolutely terrified this is ALS as I am only 27 and raising a family. I know odds against it, but from doing tons of research, it can happen in my age group. I do tend to be a bit of a hypochondriac, but my symptoms are 100% real and it worries me so much. My husband is being very supportive, but thinks it is all in my head and anxiety is making everything happen.

Do ALS symptoms progress this fast? I know that usually weakness presents itself first, but from reading on here, that is not always the case. I thank you all for your time and would take any advice out there :)

If everyone on here had a dime for every hypochondriac with twitches who thought he/she had ALS, we'd all be rich. Don't you think it's a bit of coincidence that as soon as you got on the internet and did your "research" your entire body started to twitch? Please don't come back with: "But my twitching hand started before I got onto the internet." Twitching means NOTHING as I'm sure you know from all of your "research." There isn't a person on this planet that doesn't twitch.

Listen to your husband and then more importantly, listen to your neuro when he/she tells you that you are fine. Get off of the internet and enjoy your pregnancy and look forward to your child and life.

I wish you peace and happiness.

Katmomma--

I'd suggest you go to one of the sites dedicated to people who twitch, but I think Wright's advice is better: stay of the net about this stuff. Honestly, everyone twitches, and rampant twitching is a very common phenomenon called benign fasciculation syndrome. It means you twitch and you may get other mild neurological/sensory disturbances such as tingling, feelings of weakness, etc. But ultimately it means NOTHING and you will be fine. Twitching is not a reason to find yourself on the ALS boards and even if you search endlessly on the internet, you will not find your answers but rather feed your anxieties.

Go to your doctor, make sure everything is okay with your potassium and vitamin levels (especially with your pregnancy) but don't worry about ALS. I don't even think you would need an EMG. Also, stress, anxiety etc can cause twitching and make them worse. Believe you are fine, because I'm pretty sure you are.

Andy

I agree with what both of you are saying, but forgetting about my twiching, shouldn't the other symptoms I have been experiencing be looked at. This morning I woke up and and had a really tight cramp in my right calf. It went away as I moved it, but there is no reason I shouldve gotten this.
Do ALS symptoms come and go like that? Also, the stiffness in my arms and legs when waking up? Is it common for als symptoms to be worse at certain times and not that noticeable at other times? Thank you for your thoughts.

No one really knows why women have more leg cramps when they're pregnant. Your expanding uterus can put pressure on the blood vessels that return blood from your legs to your heart and the nerves that lead from your trunk to your legs. Sounds like you have nothing similar to ALS.
Laurel

katmomma, it is very easy to convince yourself sypmtoms are there when they really aren't. ALS runs in my family and I am constantly paranoid that I am beginning the sypmtoms. I used to frequent this place but the more I come here the more I think about the disease and the more I begin to think I'm showing signs.

I logged off for a while and stopped thinking about ALS and my symptoms disappeared. A lot of your symptoms could be attributed to pregnancy. When you pay super close attention to every movement in your body you will notice things that otherwise you wouldn't.

Here is a link to a great piece, it's called: "Muscle Twitching: Is it ALS or Anxiety or BFS? Best Information for Terrified People"

I think its great, it is very thorough and I think it will put you at ease. After reading it, stay off the internet :)

Congrats on your pregnancy, relax and enjoy life!

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...on.html?cat=70

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Katmomma--- I would recommend getting it checked out by a doctor, but I wouldn't worry about ALS. There are hundreds of things that could cause your symptoms, most of them benign and entirely treatable. And it could be that the cause of your symptoms will remain unknown, but you will be fine nonetheless.

Thank you all for your advice. I am trying my hardest to put this out of my mind. Its just that every day, there is something different that I experience that adds to the anxiety. I have been having on and off "pain" in my shoulders for no reason. Also, my I get sore leg muscles for no reason. When you add this to the constant fasciculations and morning stiffness, I can't get my mind off of it. The shoulder pain that I get sort of radiates down my arm and is there all day. It gives the feeling of weakness also, but I can still do all my activities. Does this sound like a symptom of als? What about the random muscle aches for no reason? I guess I can just get an EMG and see what that says and go from there. This forum seems very supportive, and I really need that now.

The muscle pain you describe is not an ALS symptom. Getting an EMG sounds like a good idea.

Katmomma;

I just wanted to add that when I was pregnant (10 years ago now) I remember experiencing the exact same symptoms you are describing. More recently, I have posted on this forum for twitching that occurs randomly but frequently and generalized aches and pains. I can't say what your situation is for sure, but I can tell you that anxiety really can mess up your mind and even bring upon symptoms that you are worried about and they may seem meaningful, when in fact they iust may mean that you are tired, anxious, and overstressed. I don't know if you have ever tried yoga, but it has helped me quite abit. Personally, I don't think you have anything to worry about, try to focus more on the beautiful experience of pregnancy and all the fun you're about to have in the years ahead. Good luck to you!

thanks for your post Angie. Are you worried about als with your generalized aches and pains/twitches? This does sound like what I am experiencing. All day today, my right calf was sore, but I didn't do anything to make it like that. Same with my shoulders. One day its the right, another its the left, and its just an achy feeling. I hope you find an answer in your search. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi Katmomma;

No I am not worried as much anymore about the aches/pains & twitching because 1) I have seen a neuro for my symptoms and have had an EMG which was normal and this has been going on for years without weakness and 2) It has taken me a long time to come to this but I really feel that it is in God's hands and therefore I have no control over what may or may not be in the future. I have spent many days worrying about this disease and because of this I am thankful and grateful for all things; it has been a learning process. I am not a doctor but from all that I have read on this forum and other resources, what you are describing does not at all sound like ALS. Anyway, I would enjoy keeping in touch with you because I have a feeling we have alot in common. I will add you to my prayer list..stay strong and get plenty of rest. Take care.

I met with a neurologist today and have an emg scheduled for next wed. Its so hard for me to keep it together as everyday I have more symptoms. I guess I'd like to know, how does one cope when told they have a deadly disease? I know I have not been diagnosed with anything but I feel like I need support knowing how to get through this if there is something wrong. Its terrible, all I keep thinking about is what would happen to my daughter and soon to be born baby and husband if something happens to me. Sorry to be so morbid, I just can't get it out of my head

Kat~

how did the neuro say your exam went? I see you live in Farmington, I live Rochester. About 40 mins from you! Please try not to go there with the grief thing! You dont even have an idea of what is going on and there could be so many things. I felt the same as you after my 3rd was born and all the strange sx. I am year and half out with no diagnosed and I been going to Wayne State/DMC ALS center. Been through 2 emgs, muscle biopsy, mri off whole spine and brain, and countless amounts of blood work and no diagnosed. I still have everything but I am still here taking care of my family. So, you just never know how things will go.

Hang in there and I wish you well.

april

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back