Reason
Other
Country
US
State
New England
City
someplace
Hi- I am having an EMG June 30, so I don't know what is wrong with me yet, other than I am having progressive muscle weakness, twitching, and atrophy in my left hand, wrist, forearm, and fatigue. also pain in various parts of the body-- the other night I had what I think was spasm or cramp pain in my right shoulder, neck area. Both of my arms are getting weaker and it's a strain to do things that involve pulling, lifting, etc. Getting the laundry in and out of the washer and dryer, for instance, is taxing and increasingly frustrating.

do any of you have suggestions for maximizing arm strength at this point? It seems like there is stuff you can do to compensate for weakening legs, but not so much for arms and hands.

also, I meant to ask in an earlier post-- on my initial neuro exam, the neurologist noted brisk reflexes in both legs. but I noticed I had NO reflex reaction in the left arm at all,which is the worse of the two arms. what's up with that?

once again, any thoughts/suggestions are most appreciated.

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.

Best,

Sandra

Sandra,

I haven't heard of any good devices to help with lifting or pulling. There are things to help hand weakness: spoons that wrap around the hand, a pen that wraps itself around a finger, etc. Many PALS use a straw rather than lift a cup.

I have leg onset, so use AFO's and a cane. I don't have much hand/arm weakness yet so I can't relate.

The reflexes in my arms are brisk, but in my ankle the muscle is all but gone, so the reflex is diminished. So I think the reflexes are only brisk until the muscles atrophy to the point of not being able to move the limb.

Another factor is that brisk reflexes are a UMN symptom, if you are LMN dominant (as I am) this is another reason to have diminished reflexes in some areas.

Keep the faith,
-Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back