Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
Itasca
I have had the following symptoms and would like an opinion or two from those of you whom are actually experiencing als. I am sorry if i am being paraniod or wasting your time but i need some peace of mind so any opinions appreciated.
3 months ago I began suffering from random twitches through out my body. It started in my left eye and since migrated to just about every part of my body. None in the tongue tho. I have done lots of research since, gone through health anxiety therapy as the stress caused by these new twitches has been debilitating at times. 3 weeks ago i was released from my anxiety therapy and felt fine and just kind of allowed the twitches to happen without worrying about them. Recently however (past week) i have noticed that my left lower leg seems to be slightly smaller muscularly than my right ( i have been over analyzing lately so it may have always been this way.) I have also had much more twitching in this leg than anywhere else besides my left eye. I have also noticed in the past few days that the same leg tires much easier than the other and feels a bit more sore. Te fatigue is in my entire leg but most noticable at the top of my foot, calf and thigh in the same leg. This is where most of the twitches are as well. I have no foot drop and can still pass all strength tests even though the right leg gets fatigued easier. I also took an EMG about 3 weeks ago and it was negative but the neurologist was very vague with me and just told me to come back if my symptoms worsen but i shouldnt worry because i am 22. The EMG was taken before i started getting this leg fatigue.
Does als start to make your muscles tire first before you lose control of them? Also does atrophy happen before paralysis of the muscle, after, or both. The better part of me wants to say i have BFS but the uncertainty is truly giving me bad anxiety so again, your comments are greatly appreciated.

I guess it all boils down to one fact:

Don't worry about ALS until it is confirmed by a Neuro .

=========================================

With ALS , atrophy only happens after the muscles are no longer communicating with the brain.

It sounds like BFS to me.

thanks for the replies. This morning i also woke up and my hand was in some pain and it seemed to hurt at the joints an felt weak and restless. Im sure this is nothing to worry about as well but i figured id throw it out there. MY anxiety has gotten even worse the last few days so i appreciate you guys humoring me if i'm just being ridiculous.

OK, we'll humour you.

I assume you mean im being ridiculous. Sorry i dont mean to insensitive :(

Paul, I am sorry too. It is just that you are way too young to be worried about such a serious disease as ALS. I'm not saying that it is impossible, I am saying that it is very, very unlikely. That said, even if it were ALS, which remember is very, very unlikely, there is nothing that you can do about it and there is no real treatment anyway so what is the point of worrying about it? And because it is very, very unlikely you should put it out of your mind. I am 53 and am therefore much, much more likely to have ALS than you and even though I was diagnosed a year and a half ago there is still a part of me that doesn't believe it. So my advice to you is the same as Glen's; Relax and don't worry about it until someone who is qualified tells you otherwise. And I don't mean that you should spend all of your time and energy looking for a doctor to give you the diagnosis. All the best and take it easy!

Thank you barry. My anxiety the last few days as been horrendous and the only relief i get is when I'm so busy at work I don't have time to think. But reading what you wrote there seems to really set me at ease. Although i am still getting the twitches, little muscle aches, and some fatigue in my leg I can recognize that it is most likely not als or even anything more than BFS. But even the slightest possibility of having it makes my anxiety pull nasty tricks on me into thinking i positively have it. For now i suppose i must focus on conquering this anxiety and forget about symptoms.

Good plan, my man! :smile:

I Second Glen

My brother has ALS. Now it is a good possibility I could be a PALS and CAlS.

Get on Anxiety meds. Enjoy Life and get a GRIP!

Not being rude, just the way it is!

Lorie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back