Reason
Other
Country
US
State
CA
City
Los Angeles
Sorry for posting two questions in one day, but I hate feeling anxious. I had a question about UMN symptoms. When I went to my neuro for my latest check up, I mentioned to him that I had noticed that my right foot felt really uncoordinated. He asked what I meant and I explained to him that I am always crossing my legs and shaking my feet from side to side. I have done this as a little kid. I think I inherited a mild form of ADD from my father. Anyways, I showed him that I could no longer move my right foot rapidly back and forth. I have no problem moving it up and down, but when I go to move it side to side, it is slow and clumsy. He tested for babinski, and then tested all of the individual muscles in my feet for weakness. He said that there was no weakness present, nor clonus. He stated that when UMN are present, like incoordination, they generally present with rigidity and stiffness. He said that while those types of things cannot be picked up on EMG, they can be picked up on clinical exam by simply moving the foot around in a totally relaxed state. He explained that if my incoordination was due to and UMN lesion, my foot would show significant resistance and increased muscle tone when moved in all directions and that there was no need for a follow up EMG, even though I was no longer able to shake that foot from side to side rapidly. Do you guys agree with what this neuro said? I thought a lot of times that UMN symptoms could be missed on clinical exam.

UMN signs are observed clinically and a few of them are hyperreflexia, Babinski, Hoffman, spastic gate, muscle spasticity, clonus, jaw jerk, etc.

These are all observed visually by your doctor. Your neuro knows what he is seeing.

Zaphoon

my feet,especially the left one is ofton rigid and when walking it tends to bend to the side,i can't keep it straight..
also when i had pt it was noticed my ankles are stiff and it can be hard to rotate them,funny as i ofton complained my ankles felt tight like they had a elastic band round them. i have had pls 10yrs.
how long have you had symptoms? what areas are effected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back