Reason
Other
Country
US
State
New England
City
someplace
Hi- back again. for a while I have noticed that I seem to be producing more saliva. But it seems to be getting a bit worse and is becoming bothersome, particularly in the evening. Those who have read my earlier posts will know about the other symptoms and also that I am having an EMG done on June 30. I know increased saliva can also be a symptom of other problems, other than ALS. For some time, I have had some twitching around my lips and weird tingling in my upper left cheek near my eye, as well as a sensation of a very fine sort of movement around the nose and cheeks. Not sure if the last is fasciculation, as it feels different from the overt twitching in other areas of my body, which is visible to me.

for those who have saliva issues, does the pooling of saliva irritate your tongue in any way? if so, how?

anyway, is there anything I can take to reduce the saliva? do you think my primary care doctor could prescribe something in advance of the next neuro test/visit? is there anything home remedy-ish that might help? I am not drooling or anything, but I am swallowing constantly and it's annoying. sometimes I just spit in a cup (when home alone)!

thanks. Have a good evening,

Sandra

I don't think you should take any rx for the saliva if you are nearing an appmt with the neuro. That would be covering up a symptom of which you are trying to find a cause.

Try Coke, grape juice or papaya juice. But I would not drink these before your appmt.

Sandra ... I've never experienced any tongue irritation from excess saliva. I wear a Scopeline (sp?) patch behind my ear to reduce the saliva and it works part time. The part of the time it doesn't work is when I eat by mouth (I have a feeding tube). Any food or liquid in my mouth triggers a gusher, and I just have to work through it (paper towels in mouth, brushing teeth) till it settles down again.

A warning about the Scop patch. Some people find it makes them feel "goofy" or not themselves in some unpleasant way. I haven't had that sensation, and I've been wearing it since last September. There are also other meds that can help.

CJ makes a good point, but I've never had a neuro examine my mouth for saliva. I always list my current symptoms before a doctor's appointment, and they just take my word that my saliva is excessive and bothersome. If you see your pcp and he/she gives you a prescription for something to tackle the saliva, be sure and add it to your list of meds you take to the neuro, and explain why you're taking it.

Hi Sandra.

My husband has been taking glycopyrrolate for years to reduce his excess saliva. His dose is 1 mg per day and he has had no side effects. There is a wonderful book Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis written by Haroshima Mitsimoto. The third edition is the newest. This book is an invaluable source of information!

Hi Sandra.

My husband has been taking glycopyrrolate for years to reduce his excess saliva. His dose is 1 mg per day and he has had no side effects. There is a wonderful book Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis written by Haroshima Mitsimoto. The third edition is the newest. This book is an invaluable source of information! I agree that you should wait until after your appointment before starting any new medications.

Hi- thanks for all those suggestions. I did try Coke, but that did not seem to help any. Good excuse to drink Coke, though. I went out and bought some papaya juice and will try that tonight. One thing that did help: two glasses of wine. either the alcohol has a somewhat drying effect or the buzz takes the edge off the anxiety and I am not worried as much about excess salivation.

thanks for the tip on the book. I hope I will not need to get it, but if so, I will check it out.

Sandra

Dry red wine does tend to dry things up but not sure you want to be drinking it all day. It will relax you as well. I find a Merlot works well for me.

AL.

Hi Al. yes it was a dry red merlot that did the trick. don't worry-- I only drank it in the evening, after my daughter fell asleep. I would be in serious trouble if I drank during the day-- I have a two year old at home!

Sandra

Hello honey , I find I'm dribbling heaps , especially since starting Pyridstigmine . I have the behind the ear patches too . x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back