00/0000
Country
US
State
ID
City
A City
Hi Everyone,

I'm so scared to post on here because it makes my symptoms "real". Until one month ago, I was a healthy 36 year old married mom of three boys. Suddenly, I felt sick one day and had diarrhea and just an overall "fatigue", nausea, ill feeling. I lost 9 lbs. in about 2 weeks. I was given blood tests (all fine), and last week, a colonoscopy to rule out colon cancer. That came out fine as well.
Here I am, still feeling nauseous and exhausted, but in the last ten days, I've also developed:
Weak toes
Weak fingers on right hand with tiny tremor when trying to hold still
All over fasciculations, esp. in calves
My dominant leg LOOKS smaller at the ankle
I feel as though there's a lump in my throat, causing constant swallowing and it wakes me up at night
All-over muscle fatigue...some muscles shake when exerting effort.

I'm just terrified that these symptoms all came on so fast, in less than two weeks (although I've felt sick for a month). Yesterday I forced myself to go golfing with hubby - in spite of exhaustion, I wanted to live! - and today my arm is even weaker and sore.

Just wanted to tell you how fast everything came on....saw my GP last week for this - she didn't even look me over, but sent me for a brain MRI and told me she'd set me up with Neuro afterward. Very frustrating and scary how I could be a dancing fool at a wedding ONE MONTH ago and now I'm on the couch feeling depressed and scared of ALS.

M

M

It doesn't sound like ALS at all. Have you been tested for Celiac disease? Especially since in started with your stomach. It could be so many different things. Trust me anxiety will make your symptoms 10 times worse.

Hang in there,

I agree with Crystal, it doesn't sound like the onset of ALS to me. Its just too much, too fast.

Zaphoon

and I agree with Crystal and Zaphoon - That does not sound like ALS at all.

The weight loss sounds like its coming from the diarrhea and the stress.

Sit back , take a deep breath and relax, even for one moment.

Glen

Thanks, guys. This website is SOO helpful, and you're all so brave and friendly and wonderful. Nothing can make a horrible disease better, but I can see now that if something is really wrong with me, this is a great place for support.
Still scared as I wake up during the night with constant fasciculations and this random swallowing going on. I'm too tired to function but I try. Just found out I won't get into my first neuro appt. until July 28, ugh.
Anyway - thanks so much for your replies.
M

Try not to worry. You'll find, if you research it much at all, that ALS does not happen all at once, or fast. It is an insidious type of process. To me (a complete non medical professional) it sounds like you may have had a reaction to a virus... who ever knew there were so many weird things that could happen to our bodies (until it happens)

Good luck, and try not to stress waiting for you appointment.

West Nile Virus presents like this- it imitates ALS even on the EMG-except it is not progressive. Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back