Country
US
State
Maryland
City
Anytown
Plan of action after being told by the doc that you don't have ALS

1] Hug the doctor

2] During the drive home, savor the future you just got back, don't honk at a single person, and let everybody who wants to cut in front of you in, because YOU HAVE TIME :)

3] Once you're home, hug: your spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend, kids, parents, sister, brother, dog, cat, Whoever is there. If you live alone, hug yourself.

4] Turn off the computer and TV and get out old photos of family and friends, and go down Memory Lane a little. All the while you can think how you still can look forward to making many many more memories.

5] Have something really good to eat and drink

6] Consider having a party.

.... If you're not so lucky to be cleared of it, skip step #1 and #6, but the rest still work, just with a different perspective

Last edited:
Party in heaven! I'll bring the beer and my husband will bring the absolute incessant talk, corny jokes and old stories that have been heard a million times that he can no longer tell!

Go forth and find a cure...

Slight change in our case

1. DONE
2. DONE
3. DONE
4. DONE
5. DONE
6. GET SURGERY
7. Going to celebrate!

Thanks Rose..It soooo changes your perspective either way and I am a different, hopefully better person for every bit of it! I agree with CJ..we'll all eventually be able to celebrate..just in a different time and place where we all feel good and there is no fear or suffering!

Bless you for this upbeat post! You are awesome!

Tracy

Tracy! You go girl! Wishing you and your husband the best ever! Thank you for your perseverance and level headedness! Your husband is a very, very lucky guy!

You are an example of how using rational comparison of symptoms can result in good news (well better news than ALS).

Good luck!

:) CJ and Tracy, you're both such strong women, and you set an excellent example... (Tracy, I'll bet you DID hug that doctor!)

... One of the things that strikes me when I read this forum is it seems that those who don't have actual progressive symptoms of ALS seem to become more and more emotionally separated from their loved ones. It appears they become almost consumed with introspection, and this has got to be a strain on relationships and families. Of course I'm not a fly on the wall, but the excessive interest with the subject they express here, has got to spill over into these people's actual lives.

There is so much more to living than analyzing how we feel, and worry of what may come to be. The things that matter are right in front of us in the people we love, the beliefs we hold, the skills and talents we have; the things that make us laugh!

No one has guarantees, we only have the promise of the moment we're already in, so, why not make it count, make it meaningful?

"No one has guarantees......
We all know this, but do we really "get it"? We did last week.

Jim sent out a letter in April, finally "coming out of the closet", to friends and business associates. Friends from graduate school, some he had not seen for over 25yrs., contacted him & wanted to visit. These were guys he lived with for 3yrs. They were spread out over PA, from Erie, Harrisburg, Scranton, Hazelton, & Philadelphia. This is why they lost contact- careers, family, etc.; life got busy.

One of the guys, who was in our wedding, organized the group of seven to come & visit Jim. He was concerned and felt that he had to reach out. One date was set, but one of the guys couldn't make it. so it was decided to wait for all to attend. June 6th they were coming to "have lunch & drink Jim's beer (his words) and reminise about old times. Monday at 5pm, Jim got an email from his friend, finalizing the details. Everyone was looking forward to it!

Tuesday, at 12noon, I received a call saying that the guy who organized this whole thing, was taken to the hospital that morning and was on life support! He died 2hrs. later. Last Saturday, June 6th was the funeral. So instead of 7 guys getting together to show their support for one, 7 guys got together at the funeral of another, the organizer!

My husband is so sad that he didn't get the chance to see his friend one more time; his widow told Jim that her husband was looking forward to seeing him (Jim) and getting everyone together. She said her husband was so excited the whole week!

"No one has guarantees, we only have the promise of the moment we're already in; so why not make it count, make it meaningful." So true, Rose.

Wow that is sobering, just unbelievable, it really hit home for me.. Gosh you just never know. I am so amazed when I hear something like this, thank you for sharing, we really never are sure.. Sorry for your husband's loss.. GO PA.

1] Hug the doctor

2] During the drive home, savor the future you just got back, don't honk at a single person, and let everybody who wants to cut in front of you in, because YOU HAVE TIME :)

3] Once you're home, hug: your spouse, girlfriend/boyfriend, kids, parents, sister, brother, dog, cat, Whoever is there. If you live alone, hug yourself.

4] Turn off the computer and TV and get out old photos of family and friends, and go down Memory Lane a little. All the while you can think how you still can look forward to making many many more memories.

5] Have something really good to eat and drink

6] Consider having a party.

.... If you're not so lucky to be cleared of it, skip step #1 and #6, but the rest still work, just with a different perspective

Don´t google it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back