Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
IL
City
addison
During the last six weeks, I have had various issues with my tongue, particularly it is moving in ways it didn't used to. I think it started with a dry mouth, but now my tongue is always rubbing against my front lower teeth, which it didn't before. I have clear marks on my tongue from where it rubs against my teeth. I look at it all the time in the mirror and don't see any discernible twitching, just slight movement when at rest that I think is always there. I can wiggle it quickly, can tent my cheeks, etc. There is just this strange movement that wasn't there before. Also, I was having some swallowing issues that a barium swallow showed to be esophageal dysmotility (possibly due to reflux?). These put together have me fearful that I have the beginnings of bulbar als.

Have others noticed this strange tongue movement in the absence of marked weakness. I'm fearful that this is the start of my tongue muscles starting to operate differently.

Lastly, I have been having twitching all over, but as I've read that sounds more like BFS. I would appreciate hearing if this is similar to anyone out there.

Hi McMom ... tongues pressing against teeth are pretty common in healthy people, and so far as I have ever heard, is not related to any kind of neuro disease, let alone ALS. If you haven't noticed it before, it may be a new symtom of stress or anxiety, connected to BFS. Lots of people clench their jaw muscles or press their tongues against their teeth as a nervous tic. They are usually unaware they are doing it.

The marks on your tongue from the contact is also pretty common among healthy people. Never heard of it connected to ALS.

From what I understand, 99% of the time, bulbar symptoms start with slurred speech. If your speech is OK I wouldn't worry about bulbar onset ALS.

I agree with Beth, and dry mouth is the opposite of what you get, there is normally an increase in saliva. Investigate these things with a doctor, but bulbar sounds unlikely

Thanks for the replies. I wake up in the morning with my tongue in a different place and feeling differently than it ever has before. I am scared that this is my being aware early on of changes to my tongue before the slurring even starts.

If it were ALS, there would not be "changes to your tongue before slurring begins." The slurring is caused by the tongue slowing down. As soon as the tongue is affected, your speech changes. There is no delayed reaction in which your tongue gets ALS and sometime later your speech changes.

If you are concerned about these all-over twitches and "strange movements" of your tongue, please see a doctor. You probably won't be able to convince anyone on this forum that those are symptoms of ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back