Other
Country
US
State
New England
City
someplace
Hi again,

I am very bothered by something that I noticed for the first time today. while eating lunch, lifting the fork to my mouth, I noticed that my hand is shaking. it's slight, but it's the first time I noticed it. I can feel my hands and arms getting weaker and this particular development (or should I say, diminishment) is freaking me out.

I think I overdid it yesterday: went on a hike and we took a side trail that we were unfamiliar with. The attendant at the park told us that it linked to another trail, so we climbed this very steep, rock-strewn path to a rocky cliffside, only to discover there was no other trail, only the hair-raising trail heading back down. I had to scoot all the way down on my butt, clutching tree roots for support. on the way, I had a cramp in my thigh which radiated to my crotch. I am very sore and feel every muscle in my body today-- maybe that is why my hand is shaking when I eat? or is this a harbinger of worse things to come?

I guess I just wanted to tell someone because it is upsetting me. do I need to use a bigger fork or something?

Sandra

I think that you need a pitchfork to jab the park attendant! Physically overdoing it can certainly lead to general muscle weakness for a couple of days, take a couple of days rest and hopefully you'll be ok. :)

You can get eating utensils that are larger and easier to handle. Your OT at the clinic should supply you with a catalog that will have all sorts of devices to "aid in daily living." They are not cheap, so sometimes it is better to improvise and come up with your own solution (such as foam from the hardware store wrapped around fork/spoon handles and secured with a rubber band or small hair band.)

My husband's hand shakes as he brings the fork or spoon to his mouth (no knives allowed ;-).) It's not constant and I believe you are right, it depends on the amount of exertion your muscles have been through.

Thanks, Barry. I wish I had a pitchfork yesterday! or at least a trail map.

I don't know if you are familiar with my posts-- I am undergoing testing for progressive muscle weakness and twitching. had some MRIs done and blood work; waiting for the biggie on June 30-- the EMG. In the meantime, every new instance of weird muscle activity or inactivity seems to freak me out a bit.

Sandra

Hi CJ,

thanks for that tip. I am not sure I am ready to use modified utensils yet, particularly since I do not have a diagnosis. Wouldn't want to freak anyone out unnecessarily. least of all myself. (by the way, how do you insert those smilies-- I would put the sarcastic one here, if I knew how).

I did go out and get one of those prong pens because I have had trouble gripping a pen for very long (and I interview people for a living). everyone in my house thinks the pen is pretty cool, though.

if the shaking worsens, though, I may have to do the foam grip thing. I have not been to an ALS clinic; I am undergoing testing at a teaching hospital.

Sandra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back