Other
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Fairfax
Hi,

I had my EMG last week and the neuro said that everything looked normal. I still have slight weakness in my left arm which I can quantify based on the fact that I can't do bicep/tricep/chest exercises like I used to when my left arm was normal (it's probably operating at 75% strength right now). I guess my question is whether or not the EMG would have picked up on this weakness if it were truly ALS weakness?

I also got the results back from my MRI and the neurologist said that everything looked fine. No pinch nerve causing the weakness either. I would have liked if there was a definite cause such as a pinch nerve rather than the current situation, which is the neurologist doesn't exactly know what is causing the weakness in my left arm. She said that I could either rest it and hope that it gets better over time or I could do some physical therapy. What should I do? Should I seek another opinion?

Sure, seek a second opinion. And as for your first question, read the sticky at the top of the forum about going to the doctor too soon and you will find your answer.

Take care,

Lydia

hi,

i had my emg last week and the neuro said that everything looked normal. I still have slight weakness in my left arm which i can quantify based on the fact that i can't do bicep/tricep/chest exercises like i used to when my left arm was normal (it's probably operating at 75% strength right now). I guess my question is whether or not the emg would have picked up on this weakness if it were truly als weakness?

I also got the results back from my mri and the neurologist said that everything looked fine. No pinch nerve causing the weakness either. I would have liked if there was a definite cause such as a pinch nerve rather than the current situation, which is the neurologist doesn't exactly know what is causing the weakness in my left arm. She said that i could either rest it and hope that it gets better over time or i could do some physical therapy. What should i do? Should i seek another opinion?

i'll tell you what you should do

celebrate

If the weakness in your arm was due to ALS, yes, the EMG would have picked up on it. Why not try exercising your arm, moderately, on a daily basis and see what happens in a month's time.

In the meantime, try not to focus on twitches. If you do find you just have to focus on them, give them names and make them your friends. After a while, you may find this to be ridiculous. Well, it is!:)

If your arm continues to get weak, I would suggest seeing an orthopedist.

Good luck!

Zaphoon

Thanks for the reply. I've read that weakness due to upper motor neuron damage won't be picked up by the EMG. That's the only thing I'm worried about.

There are a lot of syndromes that can cause temporary weakness of limbs, some of them viral and most of them treatable. Lets hope you have something that is temporary, treatable or something that may just go away on its own.

If you have upper motor neuron troubles, some additional indicators would be hyper reflexes, a Babinski sign in your plantar reflex, hoffman sign and progressive weakness over time. Progression can vary greatly.

Zaphoon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back