Distinguished member
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Hey folks--

So the past few weeks I've been getting a "palmaris brevis spasm" where my hypothenar muscle on my right hand sucks in and dents, then releases and twitches a bit. It goes on all day. This seems to indicate there may be a problem with my ulnar nerve, but I get it a bit on both sides.

Anyways, the other day I was sitting watching a movie and I noticed that I couldn't fan my right hand fingers all the way out. So I did the classic strength test and fanned both hands out and saw if my pinkie could withstand pressure. The left could, the right could not. It put up no fight or resistance to pressure; it was like jelly. I couldn't type with it really and I could tell a difference when I was shaking people's hands later.

I thought this was really the beginning of my clear presentation. But here's the kicker-- the strength is back. I can withstand pressure that I couldn't a few days ago. Granted the muscle is super sore (I think from strength testing it over and over) and it still doesn't feel quite right, but it's not weak like it was a few days ago. It's also feels really stiff and weird when I wake up. (My fingers are often asleep when I wake up; this occurs on both hands)

So I guess my question is this: does weakness ever leave and then come back? Or is it there and then stays there with no signs of being less weak?

Weakness in ALS and other MND's usually does not go away. Once it starts it may plateau but you don't get strength back. You've probably got something less serious.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back