Not open for further replies.

Trevor

Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Cambridge
I have ulcerative colits and in 2008 the spec put me on prednisone for 8 months even though she wasn't convinced it was my colitis that was causing me weight loss. in July 2008 I started having twitching in my legs and it wouldn't stop. My gp px clozepam which did help a bit. In October my mouth experienced extreme dryness with my inner lips having a white film on them which I continous try to peel off. On Dec 15 2008 I went off prednisone and was maintaining my weight at 162lbs but started experiencing soreness in my thumb and fingers(Forgot for the last 4 years I've had this pressure in the back of my head) Since Jan 2009 -present my knees started feeling week and my fingers and palms are sore. I had an EMG in Feb 2009 and the neuro said I just had benion fascalations. March 2009 my colitis flared up and was told it was seriously active. They said my options are remove my colon or try remicade which has serious side effects including enhancing any neuro issues further. I decided to try remicade but wanted some tests done first as my hands were getting worse and my mouth was and still is unbearable with white coated tongue and white film on lips. I also started having a sore throat that wakes me at night as I'm choking(my swallowing is getting worse) They did some blood tests and a MRI on my head and said I didn't have MS and my muscles and hands/legs was due to my colitis. I took the remicade and after three day it did help my colitis from bleeding but my muscles are worse and it is difficult to get out of bed because my legs are week. I've lost more weight and my muscles seem to be shrinking. My throat and mouth are dry as anything. My fingers on both hands are getting progressively worse. I went to my gp and she going to send back to the neuro for further testing but she thinks it is in my mind as my family thinks. They want me to speak to someone to get help and put me on a permanant aniexty pill. I do hope that is the problem but with everyday further pain in my throat and arms/legs and head I'm starting to believe that the remicade has sped up my symptoms and I have ALS.
I posted here before and got positive results but things have changed for me.

Can anyone please help with some of my issues.

What you describe is not ALS. Keep going to your doctor until you get some answers.

I hope to god you are right. Thank you for your reply

Hi Trevor,

Was there any talk of oral thrush (white patches)? It can be a side effect of prednisone (overgrowth of yeast) and can cause problems swallowing if it extends.

Vicki

HI Trevor. It doesn't sound like ALS to me either. I'm not too familiar with colitis but I'd be thinking that or the meds were the problem before thinking ALS.

AL.

Trevor ... I agree with Vikster. I'd never heard of "thrush" until I was fitted for a BiPap, and told the pulmo doc that my mouth and throat were too painful for me to tolerate any air blowing in my mouth. (My mouth and throat are dry all the time too, from meds to cut saliva)

Anyway, he checked my mouth and throat abd said it was thrush. I had only a few white spots on my throat, but tongue and mouth were all very, very red and inflamed. It's a fungus, and a one-week prescription cleared it up.

Hopefully that will be an easy solution to one symptom for you, too, and one less thing to deal with.

Take care.

I Can't Get Any Meds!

I've seen 3 neuros and not one of them was interested in writing a script for meds for stiffness and cramping because in their opinion, the side-effects weren't worth it. So, I am happy to report that I suffer no side-effects from medications.

Bananas aren't doing the trick folks...

Zaphoon

Kim, are you sure the bananas are ripe enough? Maybe he meant plantains.

Beth,

You may have something there! The neuro didn't mention anything about how ripe the bananas needed to be or not be. Wow! Now I am totally confused.

Then, of course there is the matter with the water I was told to drink. He didn't prescribe any particular amount but muttered a guess of 8 glasses. Maybe I am suppose to eat the banana then drink some part of the daily regime of 8 glasses (or drink first then eat?).

Somewhere, in the middle or at either end of all of this, I'm suppose to stretch. Heck! I'll just keep experimenting...

P.S.
Anybody know of a way to make a good drug from bananas and water - side effect free of course?

Last edited:
I do recall from my high school days rumors that dried banana peels and then smoked would give you a high. Never tried it myself. More into banana daquiri's.

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back