Other
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Fairfax
Hello,

Sorry for the long post but here it goes. Since last month I've experienced progressive weakness in my left arm. About two months ago, the left side of my neck was hurting quite a bit for 3 or 4 days and the pain radiated down to my left arm. That pain went away.

Anyways, last Friday when I went to the gym I couldn't lift more than 25 lbs with my left arm when doing bicep curls (I usually do 35 lb). I then freaked out and went online to look at my symptoms. All I found was ALS and then subsequently my fingers and arm started twitching the next day. Long story short, I went to the neurologist last Thursday and told him what had happened with my arm at the gym and he proceeded to do a clinical exam. He said everything looked fine and that I was just anxious because of googling up my symptoms. He didn't even recommend an EMG and said that I would be wasting my money. I persisted and told him that I wouldn't be able to sleep at night until I get one. Should I just believe the neurologist on this one and cancel my EMG? I told him about my weakness and he said that he would have been able to see some atrophy by now if my left arm was 60% of my usual strength.

I would appreciate your feedback as I'm very anxious right now.

Believe the Neuro. You don't have ALS. I think I mentioned that in another one of your questions.

AL.

Even if someone on here was a physician, they wouldn't be able to render a diagnosis over the internet. You've already been seen by a neuro and have a follow-up appointment, so why don't you ask him/her.

I'll humor you though:

Slipped disc in your neck, Parsonage-Turner syndrome, thoracic outlet syndrome, rotator cuff problem, pinched nerve somewhere in the neck . . . shoulder . . . upper arm, scapular misalignment, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. and yes, all of the above can present without pain. Get the picture? It could be a million things, 99.9999% of them treatable. For the last time, your symptoms came on too quickly for it to be ALS AND your neuro already told you that you don't have it. What the hell else do you want? Get a grip and REEEEELAX!

P.S. I can't wait for you to ask me what the 0.00001% untreatable conditions it could be.

Even if someone on here was a physician, they wouldn't be able to render a diagnosis over the internet. You've already been seen by a neuro and have a follow-up appointment, so why don't you ask him/her.

I'll humor you though:

Slipped disc in your neck, Parsonage-Turner syndrome, thoracic outlet syndrome, rotator cuff problem, pinched nerve somewhere in the neck . . . shoulder . . . upper arm, scapular misalignment, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. and yes, all of the above can present without pain. Get the picture? It could be a million things, 99.9999% of them treatable. For the last f-ing time, your symptoms came on too quickly for it to be ALS AND your neuro already told you that you don't have it. What the hell else do you want? Get a grip and REEEEELAX!

P.S. I can't wait for you to ask me what the 0.00001% of the untreatable conditions it could be.

Wright i know you have some knowleg in emg, so can i ask you one kestion? ist it normal i go to gp and i have left leg complains he prescribed me a emg and ncv.. and today i searching for my emg exame and its right leg and right arm with that wierd values of emg? i'm no doctor to kestion this,,, but i feel like going to a surgery for left leg and came back operated to the righ leg.. i dont know...

sorry for using other people topic :S

Try frozen shoulder syndrome. There are 3 stages to frozen shoulder and you experience weakness in your arms with it. It might be worth a visit to an orthopedist.

I agree with Wright; listen to the neurologist when he tells you it is not ALS.

Zaphoon

Can somebody PLEASE tell me why many people on this forum seem to WANT ALS? I know it's frustrating not to have a definitive diagnosis around any symptoms you're having. We went 9 months believing that Dad had a small stroke because they Neurologist couldn't find anything else wrong with him until symptoms progressed to the point a diagnosed could be made.

Believe me, anyone give the ALS diagnosed would take ANY of the 99.9999% of treatable diseases that "Wrigth" referred to rather than ALS. People... if a Neuro tells you that you don't have ALS... go to the roof top and scream with JOY that you don't have it!

I really appreciate the feedback. My only concern is that I don't agree with the neurologist when he said that since I don't have any atrophy, I can't possibly have early onset of ALS. How could he blatanty dismiss the possibility? Don't you at least agree with that assessment. Also, when I try to list things with my left arm, it gets very sore now (isn't that indicative of muscle loss?).

I don't deny that I'm an anxious person who gets very panicked around serious diseases. But I would appreciate any response by you guys about the stiffness/weakness of my left arm?

With ALS your muscles do not get sore. ALS causes weakness so the muscles get tired if you over use them - NOT sore.

If you don't believe your neuro and don't believe us - what more can be said?

Try to relax and put ALS out of your mind.

Regarding your disagreement with the neurologist...

Your neuro went through several years of specialized training in his field, served an internship and residency. In short, he has proven himself competent in his field.

If a highly trained, highly practiced, highly skilled, highly respected neurologist tells you emphatically that you do not and could not have ALS at this point in time, please believe him.

There are many, many other diseases/disorders/syndromes that are far less debilitating than ALS that are far more probable realities.

I'm happy for you! You have something other than MND!

Smile!

Zaphoon

"How could he blatantly dismiss the possibility?" - BECAUSE HE IS THE DOCTOR !

I agree with Zaphoon (but he was much nicer and more patient with his reply) and I especially agree with JennB329! What we wouldn't give to have heard those words - "you don't have ALS" or even "I don't think it's ALS" !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back