Other
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Fairfax
Hi,

My left arm has been giving me issues. Specifically, when I went to the gym last week I couldn't do any bicup curls and chest presses with my left arm (it felt like it was operating at 60% strength). Since last week I have also developed twitches in my left hand as well as throughout my body. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac so the twitches may have started after I kind of freaked out. Since last week, my left arm hasn't regained the strength.

I went to the neurologist earlier today and told him about my symptoms and also my concern about ALS. He quickly tested my strength and dismissed ALS as a possibility. I asked him what else could be contributing to this and he didn't give me a clearcut answer but said that based on my clinical presentation, ALS is not a possibility and did not even recommend an EMG.

I'm kind of freaked out at the moment and would appreciate any feedback. Should I go see another neurologist?

CONGRATULATIONS!

I am glad it is not ALS.

I agree with your neurologist as the symptoms don't point to ALS.

Relax for a few weeks and see if your symptoms disappear.

Should I get a second opinion. It's been a week and I still haven't regained the strength of my left arm back and my left arm and hand are twitching (they started to twitch the day after I went to the gym and found out about my loss of strength....I don't know if it's a coincidence). What is worrisome is that I don't have any pain or numbness associated with the arm either.

The neurologist who looked at me said that I didn't show any atrophy. I proceeded to ask him what if this is the onset of the disease and thus I wouldn't show any atrophy and he dismissed my possibility. Should I trust the neurologist here? I am still freaking out and haven't ate much in the last 3 days. Please.

OK ... I second Joel's opinion.

Relax .

Calm Down .

Go to your favorite place of worship , and that the powers that be for not having ALS.

I just went to the gym today and I still couldn't lift anything above 20 lbs (I normally can do 35 lb bicep curls) with my left arm. Plus, the muscles of my left arm burn like crazy after trying to lift with that arm. Did I see the neurologist too early? I think I'm going to call another neuro next week and schedule an EMG.

What do you guys think? I'm freaking out again after I just came back from the gym.

Those are not symptoms of ALS.

But, since you cannot get a hold of your emotions, go see another neurologist.

How can they not be symptoms of ALS? Correct me if I'm wrong but Isn't muscle weakness the primary symptom (the initial onset being weakness in one limb)?

Thanks.

It does not happen that fast, it is a gradual decrease in dexterity and strength, followed by atrophy.

Like I have already said, since you will not believe the first neuro or us, get a second opinion.

Yes, weakness is a symptom of ALS but it's also a symptom of about a billion other things. What makes your weakness NOT ALS weakness is the suddenness of its onset. ALS is an insidious disease and not a disease that hits you over the head so quickly.

You have been told by a few people on here that your symptoms don't point toward ALS and even more importantly, by a neuro who evaluated you. If you can't take all of that and be convinced, then there isn't a thing we can do for you on here. You're already irrational about things, so my advice to you would be to go get a second opinion . . . and when that doesn't work . . . a third . . . and when that doesn't work . . . go to a psychiatrist and get some counseling and meds.

RELAX!

Thanks for the replies.

I guess maybe I didn't notice it before because I haven't gone to the gym in a while. Maybe my arm was weakening and now it has gradually progressed to this stage.

NO - trust me when I say if you had ALS you would have noticed the weakness before that.

I take back what I said: forget about the second and third opinions . . . don't pass go . . . instead . . . go straight to the psychiatrist. You have become completely irrational and are in need of some serious counseling and some powerful meds. Get the hell off of the internet too, because you're obviously not qualified to understand what you're reading.

Maybe I didn't say it loud enough the first time: REEEEEEEEEEEEEELAX!

P.S. Believe it or not, we're trying to help you.

I know....I realize that my mind is irrational. That's because I'm just a little scared. The neuro who examined me said that since I didn't have any atrophy he was very confident that I didn't need an EMG even though I have arm weakness.

Would an ALS patient present atrophy even with slight weakness on clinical examination? I guess what I'm trying to ask is whether or not it is too early for atrophy to present. I can still pick up 50 lb dumbbells on both arms but my left arm loses its grip very quickly compared to the right.

Listen, we know you're scared. The thing that points away from ALS is your quick onset of symptoms. ALS simply doesn't happen that way.

As far as weakness and atrophy with ALS: weakness precedes atrophy and typically the weakness is present and progressing long before atrophy is noticed.

Please concentrate on those things that point away from ALS and do not have the mindset of "prove to me that I don't have ALS" because there is absolutely no evidence at all that you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back