CB1977

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
oh
City
columbus
Hello- As most of the regulars know, I have many other symptoms besides miscle fasics. Here is my question which is mostly for people that have a firm diagnosed of MND/ALS but anyone feel free to chime in-

Are fasics that are ALS/MND increased by stress, vigorous exercise, and/or caffeine.

I have noticed that mine increase when I get really nervous (like if I have a big presentation) and also after exercise.

Like I said, I have many other symptoms, just wondering about this today.

CB1977

Yes, I have noticed all of those things increasing fasics. I have learned to stay calm and happy and fasics are significantly lessened.

Yes, exercise, to much walking, stress also give me increased fascics.

Do you think this is an ALS? MND specific thing or happens with all fascics?

Is there anything unique about MND/ALS fascics?

My 30 year old daughter who is on her feet for an 8 hour shift, gets them quite frequently. She does not have als or any mnd.

We are finding that my husband was probably misdiagnosed and has other issues....but his fascics increase with stress and exercise....we don't know about caffeine...well...because they might as well hook up a pepsi IV on him...it's always in his system...but definitely stress and exercise and it doesn't seem to be related to als now.

I dont have als but i could lay on the couch all day and mine are just as bad as if i had run a mile.

Twitching from Anxiety/This article is not related to ALS

Anxiety symptoms - Muscle Twitching

Muscle Twitching:
A certain muscle, group, or groups of muscles twitch (jerk) involuntarily. Even if you try and relax the muscle or group of muscles the twitching continues.

It may involve one particular muscle or group of muscles, or may randomly shift from one group to another. It may also include several different muscles or groups of muscles at one time.

The twitching may appear for a few brief moments, last for minutes or hours, or persist for days and even weeks off and on. It may also persist even when trying to go to sleep, when asleep, or when waking up.

ALS Fasic's from Teleemg:

Fasciculations Frequency “definition”:

I have read in "principles of neurology" that benign fasciculations tend to be more frequent and constant in location than the malignant ones. What do they mean by FREQUENT? 1. More frequent in EMG: once it fires the frequency of each "muscular jump" is higher (shorter intervals between each fasciculation) 2. Or, maybe they mean the clinical way: that the patient gets them more, feels more fasciculations in a given muscle -the frequency of each such "battery" of fasciculations is higher. HE gets more twitches?

What do you think they mean 1 or 2?

Answer It is 2, referring to frequency in clinical way.

Comment: So according to your clinical experience: the random twitchers, those who get them few times a day only and every time in totally different location (a twitch in the calf muscle once every hour or less, for example)- these are the twitchers who should worry more about als? * More than the twitchers who have them continuously in the same muscle?

Answer: Yes, this is true, it is good clinical assumption to follow, but it is not perfect, as surprisingly some patients with ALS are oblivious to their fasciculations.

BFS/Fasic's from Teleemg

Benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS)

Would you know the answer to this question? I have asked my neurologist, asked the MDA, and looked at a lot of reference material and cannot seem to find the answer. I checked your site, but still no luck. I have been diagnosed with Cramp-fasciculation syndrome/Benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS). On my EMGs, there were positive sharp waves from two different muscles (normal nerve recoupment and no fasciculations noted); my NCVs are all normal. I thought with BFS my EMGs should be normal and my NCVs abnormal? Thank you.

Answer: The term benign fasciculation syndrome (BFS) is used when the patient has fasciculation but no neuromuscular disorder is found. In this case the EMG may show fasciculations only but no positive sharp waves or fibrillations. The nerve conduction study (NCS) is normal, while the Cramp/fasciculation syndrome may have muscle aching, cramps, stiffness, and exercise intolerance. Again in this condition as BFS, the EMG may show fasciculations only, otherwise, no other EMG signs, and the NCS is also normal.

I don't have ALS, but have had BFS for 20 years. Mine have always increased in number and intensity after vigorous exercise and with stress. I have them everywhere, and I do mean EVERYWHERE. BUT, they have never shown on an NCV/EMG and I've had five over the last 6 years (latest in February this year). Strange huh?

Caffeine did too until I stopped drinking it very much.

Too much attention is paid by concerned people, like you and me, to fascics until we are educated enough to know that clinically they mean very little.

After 20 years they're just normal to me. Couldn't live without them or I would think something was wrong with me.:shock:

Thanks to everyone for your input.

CB1977-

Most people who get fasciculations, whether they're benign or indicative of a worse condition, witness them increase during times of stress, anxiety, exercise, sickness or caffeine intake. In fact, some people induce nerve hyper-excitability just by one of those elements alone. I've heard doctors say too much caffeine can cause them, too much anxiety, too much exercise, etc.

People on the BFS boards can confirm it happens to them, and as we just saw, people on the ALS boards confirm the same thing happens to them as well. So this method of inducing the symptoms seems to be no more indicitaive of ALS or BFS than the ambiguous twitches themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back