Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nnj925

Joe and glen...thanks for saying you didnt think i have ALS...

Thursday i was in the hospital .....I fumbled words a few time over a few days..and i was really freaking out...im still having arm muscle pain and twitching at times.and theigh muscle pain..they did an mri i have a white spot (which ive always had) on the right side they said this wouldnt effect speech and that they can see its old...not something new. They pretty much ruled out MS as well...and they did a spinal tap which all came out good....the neurologist said they want me to follow up in 6 weeks? I am still having pain in my muscles and sometimes I feel uncooridinated...i dont necessarily drop things but i feel like I fumble or dont "get it right" the first time. Im terrified I have ALS and I dont know what to do.

I appreciate any help or advice you all can give.

Don't be terrified, your symptoms do not point to ALS.

Even if it was ALS there is not one benefit from worrying! Worry only speeds up progression.

Try to stay calm and put ALS out of you mind.

joel...you do remember from my first post that i have weakness in my arms along w/ pain (muscle weakness and pain ) right? sometimes (especially in the morning) my hands are really stiff and I cant make a fist..they did check for arthritis too...nothing?

i also have twitching as well...im sorry for all the posts...i seem to remember things after i post and I dont know how to edit my previous posts :( im sorry

I am sorry you are so worried, but my thoughts are still the same.

Worry only adds to the problems you are having and could be the cause of most of them.

Please try to relax and take the weekend off.

I am glad that they didn't find anything special yet. That means there is hope.

As for the twitches , I have twitched since I was a teenager. I wouldn't read anything into that.

Stress will heighten any symptoms that you are having . Please try to relax.

The muscle pains can be anything . Even a bad virus can cause those pains. Try to treat the symptoms . Dont let your muscles get hard from not wanting to move them. Stretch them out.

If the doc wants to see you in 6 weeks , I would call it a good thing. Better than please come back tomorrow if you know what I mean.

Stay calm ... hang around ... kick back some pizza and beer. Watch some hockey EH !

Glen

glen thank you im freaking out at this point...im thinking im having trouble swallowing now...(i do have post nasal drip though)...and when ever im off balance now im practically in hysterics crying...i wish i could calm down but my mind is like on overdrive...i literally feel as though i have every symptom.

im having horrible thoughts....

and i feel bad even posting here now ...you guys are actually diagnosed w/ this and your consoling me... im sorry.

nnj925 ... Glen and Joel have pretty much said it all, but I wanted to add that you don't have "all the symptoms" of ALS in my experience. Actually, it doesn't sound like you have any of them.

Stiffness (in hands or whatever) is not an ALS symptom, and certainly "not being able to make a fist" is not an ALS symptom. In ALS, eventually the hands curl into fists ... the opposite of what you report. "Feeling uncoordinated" is not an ALS symptom; aching muscles are not an ALS symptom; "having trouble swallowing" is not an ALS symptom, unless it follows speech slurring, etc. , and it would not be present at an early stage with all your limb issues. Twitching is meaningless ... almost everybody has twitches at some point.

ALS just doesn't present with random quirky things all over the body. I'm not a doctor, but from what I've learned as a layperson (and PALS) indicates that whatever is happening with you, it's not ALS.

Please relax about ALS and prepare to work with your neuro to find out what is actually going on. If you are having horrible thoughts, you might want to talk to someone in person about it ... a counselor, pastor, close friend.

nnj925,

I know that I have come to terms with my future , and I expect that Joel has too in the way that he types.

Have no worries for us , don't feel bad. To help someone else makes you feel good.

Please take care of yourself. Stop with the ALS thoughts.

Post nasal drip , dizziness , weakness - sounds like the flu to me. Yes , the nasty little buggers can last a long time now. Maybe a trip to the ER to get that checked out would be worth it.

Did ya kiss any pigs lately ? (thats a joke EH)

Glen

beth thank you for even replying...

i was in the er thursday night thats how they did the mri...i dont have a fever so no flu i have always had allergies...

the arm weakness is pretty consistant...the hand stiffness and joint pain is not everyday. the twitches is not everyday. the fumbling words started about a few days ago. and like in the er they asked me something that i knew and i couldnt remember then i was really freaking out..and like I will go to say a word and and cant pronounce it right. my arms are always tired. and my left hand feels uncoordinated at times. thats not all the time. and my theighs hurt if i walk up like 8 steps like as if i was working out or riding a bike?
but i also have anxiety and fear and crying alot....so based on that..yea i feel like i have alot of the symptoms..
im so sorry i sound crazy to you guys...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back