Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
The fasciculations and cramps in my calf muscles (both legs) have been cranking it up lately. This has led me to research the whole BFCS issue and it seems to me, I fit this bill to a "T". It could be that my hyperreflexia and Babinski problems are just flukes and I may not have PLS at all.

At any rate, this is the direction I plan to drive my next neruo appointments in.

With BFCS (Benign Fasciculation Cramp Syndrome), you have cramps, twitching and even intermittent problems with strength (difficulty raising a limb, going up steps, etc). I'm beginning to think I may be naturally hyperreflexic and the Babinski thing may just be normal for me.

I know the fascics are benign from last years EMG's and doubled with the fact that they have been getting stronger in the same location over a year's time.

I am doing really good at talking myself out of this PLS business and hope to convince the neurologist to share the same mindset.

Zaphoon

Zaphoon,

I agree with your intentions, I hope it works out that way!

It seems to me that upper motor neuron stuff is so subjective. I have one neuro who rated my reflexes as brisk, a GP who always exclaims on how strong they are, and then a neuro and a fellow who said they were normal. As for Babinski, I have absolutely no reaction at all in either foot, no matter how hard the neuro tries to provoke one (that fellow gave it her all using every imaginable pointy device). My cramping has started up again, but not nearly as bad as last summer. And getting up from a chair is always interesting, sometimes more so than others. Isn't there some actual TEST that confirms UMN issues beyond the reflexes..?

Lydia

Spasicity can be found by a neuro, that is another upper motor neuron symptom. And clonus is another. I agree that hyper reflex stuff is really hard to diagnosed. But I think that if your reflexes are brisk to a pathlogical extent, a good neuro-muscular neuro should be able to tell. Mine are so brisk a instrument is not even needed. Pathologically brisk is easy.. They are usually really really hyper.

Zaphoon,

Great mindset. Here's hoping that you're on to something. Let us know what you find out.

Best wishes,

Robert

Hopingforcure,

Same with me, no instrument needed. My daughter went with me to last neuro appt, he got his instrument out to test reflexes, my daughter told him that it would be in his best interest not to stand in front of me,:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back