Learn about ALS
Country
GER
State
NRW
City
steinfurt
Hello!
I'm 19 years old german girl and strated having troubles three weeks ago. At first I woke up and both of my calves were stiff therefore I had troubles walking. After two days it went away, but then a week and a half ago the stiffness came back but only in my right calf. I went to a neurologist who did an emg and tested my reflexes. My emg was normal but my kneereflexes has been brisk. I also tested my blood which came out normal and said everything would be ok and I wouldn't have to worry of AlS because I wuld be too young. Then a week ago I also started to have problems swallowing things. The stiffness and the problems don't go away so I can't stop fearing to have ALS and can't sleep at night. Would bulbar symptoms and the stiffness in the calf start at the same time? Does this sound like ALs?
Please help me,
Lisa

I thought about my swallowing problems and think now that it's more like having a lump in the throat.

Lissa,

The lump in the throat could be anxiety related, because of the stiffness in the calfs, or it might be gerd or allergies.
Your knee reflexes could also be brisk because of anxiety.

I know it's hard to do , but please try and relax it might be nothing at all.

Please get off the internet and stop reading about ALS, so many things need to ruled out before they will
even think ALS....It's last on the list and you do have age on your side.

Lissa ... it really does not sound like ALS to me, either ... and wouldn't no matter what your age. That's just not the way ALS starts. Also, as Crystal indicated, the lump in your throat is not a "bulbar symptom" ... it is much more likely to be stress or anxiety.

limp oneset and bulbar oneset at the same time?

Thank you for the responses. I addition limp symptoms and bulbar symptoms doesn't often start at the same time, is this right? I hope this all goes away because my parents already think I'm a total hpochondriac;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back