Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
CA
City
Sacramento
A short question.

I get a purring sensation in different parts of my left hand. It seems to pulse on and off. The same areas also ache (not what I would define as a cramp, just a dull on and off ache).

I have bodywide twitching which I am not worried about, but the purring is different and I wasn't sure what to make of it. Does it sound like something to be concerned about?

Thank you.

The purring or vibrating sensation has been discussed on the forum in length previously. Some people felt it was sensory, that nothing was really vibrating, others felt it was a tremor, just too fast to perceive by sight or by touch.

I believe the consensus was that people with ALS and people without ALS have experienced this, so it is not diagnostic of ALS and does not point towards it. I do not remember that anyone was able to find it truly had specific importance ~ only that others have felt this...

I get that sensation all the time, kind of more like a buzzing in my extremities. I have had that sensation for years now. I also get the feeling of tiny electrical shocks in my toes. I do not think it is related to ALS as I do not have ALS to my knowledge, hope this helps, margaret

I have also experienced the buzzing. Thought I was sitting on my cell phone (hint as to where I actually buzz :)). I don't have ALS either. I have experienced in the same time frame as the buzzing other sensory anomalies. But they have quieted down. Who knows what to make of it all? Seems mild enough though.

Lydia

Thanks to all three of you for your responses.

As I mentioned, I had a normal clinical and have no weakness, so I am going to assume it's "just a strange feeling" and not worry about it.

God Bless

I get buzzing, too! So far I have no idea what it is, but Lydia, I, too, have wondered what my foot is pressing against, etc., only to find out it's just my WEIRD body!

I have also experienced the buzzing. Thought I was sitting on my cell phone (hint as to where I actually buzz :)). I don't have ALS either. I have experienced in the same time frame as the buzzing other sensory anomalies. But they have quieted down. Who knows what to make of it all? Seems mild enough though.

Lydia

Hi, sorry to interject here on such a serious topic, but there is actaully an interesting thing I had read a year or so back called the phantom cell-phone sensation. Usually getting a cell-phone call (a buzz normally in your pocket) is a nice thing or something that we anticipate (even for bad reasons). Anyway, the end result is that our minds are constantly anticipating it and we can have phantom cell-phone buzzing in places where we normally expect our cell-phone to buzz (back-pocket, pants etc).

Perhaps this is what you have been feeling? just an interesting thought.

take care!

So do you carry your cell phone in your pocket set on buzz and then keep phoning yourself? Sorry, couldn't resist.

AL.

Al, that might depend on which pants pocket is in question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back