Not open for further replies.

StacyH

Country
US
State
North Dakota
City
Williston
I have a question concerning atrophy. If there is a visable area on my r. quadricep that appears to be flat or "hollow" compared to my left and it wasn't something that was visable before, what type of weakness would I expect to experience? I also have the same situation in my l. thenar muscle. I'm just not certain I understand the correlation between the fascics, atrophy and weakness issue in how they present. I do not have any clinical weakness with manual muscle and strength testing. I have had on and off issues for 13+ years and obviously MND is a concern for me. My last EMG was 1.5 years ago on my entire right side when my fascics and perceived weakness flared up again. This EMG was normal and my clinical exam was normal.

If anyone can provide me some insight into the issues of atrophy and weakness I would really appreciate it. I did post about a month ago that I have a large family history of autoimmune disorders and Wright did suggest a rheumatologist for which I have an appointment next week. Should the degree of weakness outweigh the degree of atrophy or is this simply not a clear cut issue? Thank you for your time.

Stacy

hi stacy.
i think it depends on the amount of atrophy,if its isolated or effecting smaller muscles then maybe you might not notice too much weakness.
everyone is different,some say they have profound weakness before atrophy and others that have quite a bit say they are still relatively strong.
some autoimmune deseases can cause atrophy,the fact you mentioned you have a family history and have flare ups makes this a good possibility.
i hope your appointment goes well:)

13+ years! I would not be too concerned about ALS, but I am not a doctor. I experienced a lot of loss of dexterity and strength before any atrophy. Everyone is different.

Stacy

Weakness will precede atrophy. If you had ALS and you got to the point of seeing noticeable atrophy, you would have weakness and that weakness would not be perceived. Once again, as you were told in your intial thread, your story points away from ALS. It's good you made the appointment with the rheumy, because your story definitely points towards something autoimmune.

Take care and good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back