asantiago

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
OK
City
Glenpool
ALS unfortunately runs in our family. My mom just passed from it about 6 weeks ago.

I finally have stopped obsessing over her and her situation at least some, I now find myself over analyzing every muscle movement, every swallow, everything nonstop all day long.

I wake up thinking about it, it consumes me.

My tongue feels tired, does that make any sense? When swallowing peanut butter it feels weak, when chewing for long periods it feels fatigued.

I also feel like my right arm is weakening. It seems to get tired easily things like brushing my teeth it feels tired holding it up. BUT does it really or am I just looking for it to?

I am 31, mom was 50 at onset, 51 when she passed.

I read a lot about perceived vs actual weakness yesterday on here. Do you think this is just perceived weakness. Did anyone feel weakness before actually being unable to use the muscle? I am hoping this is all in my head, but the family history has me freaked out!

Thanks!

asantiago ... I'm so sorry about your loss. And I understand how one can obsess about a relative's disease, as I did that when I lost my grandmother and mother to colon cancer.

Your symptoms don't sound like ALS to me, and I think it would be unusual to present with both a tongue and an arm affected at the same time. Usually bulbar symptoms spread through the head and throat area before moving to the limbs. And, in my experience, feeling weak is not the first symptom. Usually slurring speech and difficulty swallowing liquids come first. In fact, I've never had the sensation that my tongue was "weak." All I knew was that I was having difficulty speaking, then some months later, difficulty swallowing.

I would urge you not to worry about ALS. From these symptoms, it doesn't sound like it.

obviously you are still coming to terms with the loss of your mum.
what she went through is playing on your mind now you have a big void to fill and causing you to have percieved symptoms.
if familial als is in your family theres no saying who or when it will attack next,you can not spend the next decades worrying about it as it may not happen.
focus on the good times you had with your mum before als and on your family.
sorry for your loss and i wish you all the best for the future:)

asantiago,

I, too, am sorry that you lost your mother to ALS. You are correct in thinking that your obsession may be creating your symptoms. Try not thinking about it by occupying your mind with other matters. If you have a hobby, spend more time with it, for example.

If you really want some peace of mind, see your doctor and have him check you out. There is no sense in dwelling on something you probably do not have.

I am sorry your mother suffered with ALS. Here's hoping you never will!

Zaphoon

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back