Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Corry
I am 22 years old. For the last 10 weeks I have been battling what my doctor thinks is GERD, or acid reflex. I had a mild chest pain and the feeling like something was in my throat. After a Barium Swallow and blood work, I was told I am fine. The doc gave me medication. I have been put on Aciphex and my symptoms have seemed to disappear.

Shortly before my blood tests, my mom gave me a generic acid reflex medication. It was about the time when I noticed a twitching/stabbing like sensation in my left chest area. I noticed that it would come when I moved my head a certain way. I would last as long as I had my head turned. Noticed a few times it would come while standing still without moving my head.

I stopped taking the generic medication because it did not help. I then noticed that the twitching/stabbing stopped for a week or so.

Then went in for blood work and what not and was then put on Aciphex which seems to make me feel 80% better, but the twitching/stabbing sensations are back, this time in my left arm.

I have also noticed that my left arm burns, only one time, or it feels tired, even after no exercise or anything.

I was wondering if this could be a result of the medication, or is this a sign of ALS.

Sorry for the long post. Just nervous and anxious.

Does not sound even a little like ALS.. Never would of had ALS on my radar with those symptoms. Sound like heartburn or something treatable to me.. Not ALS...

Does not sound even a liyyle like ALS.. Never would of had ALS on my radar with those symptoms. Sound like heartburn or something treatable to me.. Not ALS...

Really?

I hope so.

Also, I get the pins and needles feeling in my hands and my face, which my parents thinks comes from the medication, becuase it stopped after taking it.

I just got worried when I started getting these weird twitching/stabbing sensations and then came the wave of discomfort in my left arm. The discomfort comes and goes once or twice a day.

Sometimes the twitching comes as a result of coughing.

Very stressed because of the GERD the last 10 weeks, I wonder if this has something to do with it.

Stress can cause all kinds of unwanted symptoms, but you definitely don't have ALS. Try to relax and your symptoms will likely disappear.

Blues1986,

Your symptoms do sound like GERD plus anxiety. Medications for acid reflux sometimes take a while work effectively, and be aware that there are a number of different products you can try. Diet and lifestyle can exacerbate GERD. Work with your doctor to find a strategy that works for you, and take a look at what diet and lifestyle changes might help.

Oh... quick tip that your doctor may have forgotten to mention that might give you some relief. Raise the head of your bed about six inches (the mattress itself, by putting blocks or similar under the feet).

Take care,

Robert

So I should not be worried with the symptoms I am having? The twitching, feels maybe like a stabbing of muscles, plus the odd feeling of my left arm being always tired and overworked got me thinking immediately of ALS.

Have to figure that the medication I have been taking plus stress might be the cause of it.

Thanks to those who replied.

Twitching can be caused by so many different things (including excercise and anxiety) that you shouldn't be too concerned about it. Chest pain of many stripes can be caused by acid reflux. Just ask any 30-40 something guy, with bad diet and stress, who has rushed to the ER thinking the heart attack had finally come. You should discuss these concerns with your doctor, and discuss anxiety if necessary.

Best wishes,

Robert

About a week and a half ago I began to notice a twitch or two. Fast forward to today where I am in full blown twitching, almost 80% centered in my right calf. I would say my muscles are twitching more than they are not. There is no weakness, I can still do normal activities fine. I get the 'needles and pins' feeling in my hands, feet, and face.

I have had the 'something in my throat' feeling for several weeks. I do not have slurred speech or anything, and I can breathe, eat, swallow pretty normal. I had a barium swallow which showed nothing. (can als be found with a barium swallow?) Blood work done which came back normal.

Doc thinks its acid reflex but I never have heartburn. Stopped taking medication because the side effects were killing me. Been off meds for a week.

The twitching only comes when my body is in rest, lying down, or sitting. When I am active, like walking, I can not sense them.

Also, I am 22 which I know is a good sign for me.

What do you think...

PS. Going back to the doc tomorrow for the throat problem, going to bring up the constant twitching.

I should add that I can not see the muscles twitching from looking at it... its not visible from the skin. I also sometimes feel that the back off both my knees feel tired.

blues, im having the same symptoms aswell
this twitching in my left calf mosty and all over my body aswell though
and get the weak feeling in the my left arm and the 'something in my throat feeling' aswell, also i feel like i am limping when i walk and i see that people look at me funny when im walking. these symptoms are driving me insane! i can do all the normal things but i get tired easily. i feel like crap all the time
i have had blood tests, MRI tests and an EMG everything came back normal
Could there be something wrong that has gone undetected?

Blues and James ... I agree with what others have said. I've also read that the feeling of a "lump" or obstruction in one's throat is the No. 1 most frequent sign of anxiety or stress. (That's "hearsay," as I can't cite sources.)

ALS does not start out with twitching. That's a later development after the muscles have started to weaken. So noticing twitching without weakness points away from ALS.

Wright (our resident forum medical expert) has pointed out that ALS twitches are constant ... they don't come and go, they don't bounce around the body. Mostly, you can't even feel them ... they are usually very mild and subtle and don't appear until you are well into muscle weakness.

Stabbing, pins and needles and/or burning pain are not characteristic of ALS .... again, they point away from it.

Got back from the Doc who thinks it stress more than anything. The Doc laughed when I mentioned ALS (I know it is no laughing matter) but she said there is no way I have it.

The only thing that scares me is that my doc can not pin point what I am suffering from. I constantly have the feeling like somethings in my throat, which yesterday turned into a burning sensation. I am glad to say my muscle twitching has disappeared. If only I could find out what is wrong with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back