Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
ny
State
new york
City
valley stream
Does bulbar onset present itself with swallowing problems at first. Because ive been having this feeling of there is something stuck in my throat, like a lump, and sometimes its been hard to swallow. Also my face twitches, like every where esle on my body as well, my throat area does sometimes too. Its not all the time, but it comes and goes. And i know Bulbar als is rarer, of the als onsets, is it more common in younger adults or older adults. I am 23 mind you. I dont slurr my speech, and i can swallow it just feels like theres something in my throat. My tounge does not twitch either. I dont drool in my sleep either.

Isle,

People with bulbar palsy do not usually notice problems swallowing, the vast majority have it actually pointed out to them by their doctor and speech pathologist. This is because it is so gradual of an onset, a person rarely notices it at first. And its due to weakness~ feeling a lump in the throat is not a symptom. Whether or not you drool on the pillow at night has no relevance to ALS either way.

I know you've been advised before, but I'll repeat it here, you need to help yourself by dealing with your anxiety issues, this would be much more productive for you, and would actually enable you to feel better, happier and less afraid, In contrast, spending time on this forum, is not seeming to help you accomplish this. If anything it seems to feed your fears.

good luck

I am confused, didnt you just post the same questions just like a few days ago? And I think everyone answered your questions?
I agree with Rose, you need to get help for anxiety FIRST. I say that with well intentions, I had to do that myself. It helped me alot.

You have been given great advice from un diagnosed as well as diagnosed folks. I told you that I have that same lump, and what it was. And it did go away, I hardly have it these days. The tightness went away after taking lexapro. You can ask the same questions or be proactive and go to the ENT and get some answers from someone who can actually see you. I told you before that I refused to beleive my GP that my throat feeling was anxiety, but it was because once I took the lexapro and calmed myself emtionally it went away.......

good luck

april

isle, I'm gonna be a little more direct than these nice ladies have been.

GET SOME HELP! I don't mean that to be ugly. IF you have something neurological going on you have a long road ahead of you to find out what it is. Plain and simple. My twitching started 20 years ago (I think I might have told you this already). Here I am today, even after 7 years of other symptoms (still undiagnosed'ed).

Do you have ALS? Not likely. Do you have something going on that is making you uncomfortable right now? No doubt. But until you get your anxiety under control you will be in a funk you cannot get out of. Sometimes it takes time - I know all too well. But coming on here posting and double-posting is not getting you anywhere.

Odds are you will not kick the bucket today and you will live a normal lifespan. Get on with LIFE dude - it's a great thing.

Wish you the best - really I do!

isle667 I agree with what the others have said, I am bulbar and what you say is nothing like what I experienced, the swallowing issues became noticeable a long long long time after everything else. My husband however had symptoms a little like yours and all it was, was simple nodules in his throat, simple surgery got rid of them, although I suspect yours may be stress only. Go get a doctors opinion and stop worrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back