Not open for further replies.

planningguy

Country
US
State
Wyoming
City
Sheridan
I just thought I would throw this out there. I had a rough night, turned into a crappy day, and was in one of those, "What else can it be moments," when I read the following from one of my favorite authors:

"Were you to live three thousand years, or even thirty thousand, remember that the sole life which a man can lose is that which he is living at the moment; and furthermore, that he can have no life except the one he loses. This means that the longest life and the shortest amount to the same thing. For the passing minute is every man’s equal possession, but what has once gone by is not ours. Our loss, therefore, is limited to that one fleeting instant, since no one can lose what is already past, nor yet what is still to come…

…the sole thing which any man can be deprived is the present; since this is all he owns, and nobody can lose what is not his."

Perhaps a verbose way of saying "one day at a time," or "Live each day as though it is the last," but it was what I needed at the time. Just thought I'd share.

Take care,

Robert

There is some wisdom there that is worth remembering. Thanks for sharing.

I love it Robert, but who is the author?

Lydia

Marcus Aurelius. He wrote it in 170 AD. The more we change, the more we stay the same.

Take care,

Robert

P.S. If for whatever reason you do decide to track down Marcus Aurelius's "Meditations" (There are a handful of different editions and translations out there), do yourself a favor and try and find Maxwell Staniforth's translation. It really is the best. There have been a couple of recent efforts, but they aren't that great. Avoid the Hicks's The Emperor's Handbook. It's like a Hollywood remake of your favorite classic.

Robert,

I really like that, you can never read too much on living in the moment! I agree, that is all anyone has and this type of thought (practicing presense) is what gets me through alot of hard nights or days for that matter. I have also been having a really bad week with sx and even though my doc said 'no', I will think.....'what else could it be'. I try not to go there but sometimes.............well, you know. I will think about past moments that really make me happy and then think that those moments are gone, and just how fleeting life is. It snaps me back to living in the moment.

Take care and peace to you~

April

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back