Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
Hi all. I'll keep this short as possible because I know these threads are common. I have an EMG scheduled but it's a good 8 weeks out so I came here in the interim.

I am a 24 year-old male and a self-proclaimed worrier...especially about medicine. I fully acknowledge my symptoms could be anxiety-related but please don't let my worrying influence your opinions.

About 2 weeks ago I began feeling weakness in my left arm (intermittent) and my fingertips would tremble if I held my hand straight out. The next week, the weakness was also in my right forearm (less severe) and on the front of my left ankle (right about where the top of tongue of my shoe resides).

I don't have any other new symptoms but I do have a lingering one which started in December of 2008. My right middle toe is sometimes stiff. It feels weird and will sometimes, with my foot in a resting position, stick out above the other toes. The weird feeling in my toe is more extreme with physical exertion (especially with heavy breathing).

A neuro already took an MRI to check for MS (negative) but, until I get my EMG, I wanted to hear whatever input any of you might have.

Side Question: Is there anywhere out there that gives solid numbers for likelihood of ALS by age range. I've read repeatedly that it's significantly more likely from 40+ but any quantitative value attached to that "significantly" (forgive me...I'm an accountant)

Spread of symptoms from one limb to another in such a short time span, especially withouth wasting of any of the limbs, is not at all indicative of ALS. Your symptoms are very vague and can be explained by a gazillion things, almost all of which are completely benign.

Only 5% of ALS cases are diagnosed prior to the age of 30 . . . and the younger you are . . . the lower the percentages get. It certainly doesn't mean that ALS cannot be diagnosed at such a young age but it is incredibly rare. ALS is rare as it is (diagnosed in about 2 / 100, 000 people per year). You're an accountant, so you now know that you would have (at best) a 1 / 1,000,000 chance to be diagnosed with it given the 5% statistic I gave you earlier.

Relax and let your neuro determine what is wrong.

Thanks...this definitely makes me feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back