wheeler641

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
indiana
City
dyer
Well went back to the rheumy for the results of the last of my tests. All were normal, except for a slightly elevated ana abd cpk(said nothing to worry about) My sed rate dropped from 136 to 63, so that is good, I have been on 30mg of prednisone a day for 10 days now. I am to take the 30mg for 5 more days than weening myself off of them, 20,15, 10 and then a maintenance dose of 5mg a day. The rheumatologists diagnosed, polymyalgia rheumatica, the same diagnosed my doc gave me a few months back. Also my GP is still convinced that Lyme might be a factor even though the rheumy is not. I am going to continue to take the 2 months of doxy just in case. I asked if I needed to see a nuerologist, he just looked at me and what for? I just let it go. I have been having these symptoms for about a year now and have not had any weakness or bulbar symptoms at all. It is time to me to back off for awhile(before I go broke) and just sit back and see if any new symptoms appear, I have wasted way too much time and money in my pursuit for an answer. I can live with the way I feel right now if it does not get any worse. So I am just going to be content sitting in limboland for awhile and hoping everthing will just go away. Thanks to all who have helped me thru this. I will still be around but I will no longer obsess over this. I also would like to start contributing some money to the forum once my financial situation stabilizies. I also promise to try my best to bring awareness to finding a cure for als. You all are a great ,great bunch of people, thanks margaret

HI WHeeler,

Good luck to you! Sometimes all you can do is sit back and see what happens with this. My rheumy threw out the polymyagia rheumatica as well. Alot of my issue's did start with alot of aching pain in my small and large joints. I also had/have a elevated ana. When you take long term antibiotics, you should also take something like florstor or any daily microbiotic/brewers yeast. I got that horrid colon infection (c-diff) and you can get from long term antibiotics or catch in a hospital but I will never take antibiotics with out taking probiotics. My daughter is on a low dose/long term antibiotic for her unrinary issue and I give her 2 yogurts a day. Take care of you!

Hey Margaret,

I understand what you mean, if that is as bad as it gets then it is tolerable and it is time to just grin and bear it and move on. I think as time passes and one notices, hey I didn't really get any worse...., then settling down and adjusting becomes possible. When that fear of progression gets a hold of you though...the thoughts of "omg, where is this going to take me?" are crippling. Maybe we just need time. Time to see it isn't happening that way. Yeah, there is certainly something happening but it is not necessarily getting "worse". While many of my "symptoms/complaints" are very annoying, only one could be considered debilitating and it has seemingly vanished. So I am with you. No more obsessing.

Lydia

I have been dealing with progressive symptoms for over a year now. Probably the worst being the cramps I get in my legs. The twitching has decreased about 90% since I started taking the doxy and increased the prednisone, who knows maybe I had some type of viral infection going on, which triggered the twitches. So unless I develope any kind of weakness or difficuly talking, I am content to just sit back and wait. The only thing I still would like some comfirmation on is the Lyme diagnosed, Gp says I have it(active), rheumy says no, I have had it at one time but not active right now. so I am going to keep taking the doxy for 6 weeks anyway, it cannot hurt, I just wonder if I am going to feel worse once I decrease the level of prednisone I am on, oh well time will tell, margaret

Wheeler~

I would go to an infectious disease doc who deals with lyme.......you will get better answers.

Margaret, I think its significant that you've shown improvement just in your blood tests alone after being on the prednisone for a while.

My doctors had told me if I showed ANY improvement in ANY area (of course my blood was always normal, so that doesn't count) that it was a sign that what was wrong with me was inflammatory in nature, and therefore treatable. (and no, no change for me)

Its good to get off of the stuff, but just remember, despite all the possible side effects, and bad rap it gets, prednisone has saved countless lives for just pennies on the dollar (a little stab at humor) seriously, it gives your docs a good bit of information.

I understand about needing to back away, but I would be encouraged that there was a change in your lab results for the better. I'm thinking that these were done while you were on the prednisone for a while, but at a more reduced dosage than you were on most recently (?) Keep us posted, and even though the general population would not think the diagnosed of polymyalgia rheumatica with or without lyme sounds good, you've got lots of people here that think differently.

take care, and keep us posted. :)

rose, I know you told me that you took prednisone, what was your high dose? and how long did it take to taper down and did you have any side effects when you reduced the amount. I did not start feeling better until they upped the dose to 30 mg a day. Even though I am feeling better, I have this love hate relationship with it, it makes me feel better, but I am hyper all the time, cannot sleep well at night and starving all the, which is not good considering I am a type 2 diabetic. I am just afraid that when I lower the dose to 15mg I will feel like crap again, but by the same token I am scared to keep taking 30 mg a day. Sometimes it feels like my heart is going to jump out of my chest. When I feel that way, I take an older tranquilizer called tranxene and it helps I just do not want to be addicted to tranquilizers now. After seeing my regular GP on 23rd I will ask him about somehow If he could refer me to someone who could either confirm or disprove the Lyme diagnosed, it is important for me to know one way or another. I do not go back to see the rheumy until 4 months from now by then I will be on a dose of just 5mg a day, thanks margaret

Margaret... OK, as the well worn saying goes, my memory is good, but its short! I don't remember the specific dose of the pred. I was on. It was only for two weeks, and was up there.

I know what you mean about it making you hyper, the first few days I was on that mega dose, I was waxing the floors, (at 2 a.m.) and all kinds of crazy stuff, just could not sleep. But then, the energy from it wore off, I was tired all the time again, with the added bonus that I still was stuck awake. I probably did not average 3 hours of sleep a night for those weeks.

In the year leading up to that, I was on anything from 10 mg every other day, to 30 mg a day. I remember we've talked about it before, but, for those that are just be joining prednisone discussions, doctors have found that taking the pred every other day, rather than every day helps to cut back on many unpleasant or potentially harmful side effects (i.e. 10 mg every other, as opposed to 5mg every). When you make it down to the 5 mg daily dose, this would be a maintenance dose, it should be effective at keeping the polymyalgia under control, if it is controlled at this point. Such a small dose (as it was explained to me) would not be effective at combating an active autoimmune condition, or during a flare.

My little eye drama (last month) leads my doctors to believe that the lesions that were observed by an ophthalmologist last spring, (and which I never followed up on ~ my bad!) were most likely not from the prednisone, but from a closed angle glaucoma attack, or, worst case, macular degeneration. They feel this because some of the scarring looks that much older and would explain why the regular eye exams while I was actually on the prednisone and plaquenil had all been fine.

So, if that's the case, I came away with no harmful effects from being on it for such an extended time, but I was also monitored throughout.

Oddly, it did not make me hungry ~ like as in at all! But I still gained weight, over 25 lbs in one year's time. Very strange.... I think it changes the metabolism. So, as a diabetic, this would be important for you to keep up with whatever regimen they have you on to monitor your blood levels.

My doctors have told me that there is a school of thought that long term usage can result in long term metabolic changes, extending quite a time after the patient is back off of the prednisone, and I would think this to be true even if no one had said it.
I did lose much of the weight I gained from being on it (without trying, thanks to this crap!) But I don't think I lost/am losing as fast as I would have if I'd not taken prednisone to begin with, which works in my favor as weight loss for those with ALS is not good.

For you, true, diabetes is nothing to fool around with, but neither are your other problems, All of your doctors are aware of your condition, so they must not not think that keeping you on such a low dose for the next few months is enough to skew your body's response to insulin secretion.

It really did help me with the fatigue, and joint aches (osteo-arthritis) I remember when I first finally was all of the way off of it, I was so achy, every day I hurt progressively worse, and thought, wow, I didn't remember how bad my joints used to hurt ~ then I got the chills, finally located a thermometer hiding in a drawer, and it registered °102.8... turns out I had aspiration pneumonia (so that's why I had that nasty cough:roll:)

See what you can find out about the Lyme, I know it would be easy to just try to forget about everything, which is good to to for a short while, but in the bigger picture, you still need to get things sorted out.

take care! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back