Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
AL
City
Mobile
I was terrified I had ALS. I still am, but as I posted in another post I'm 33. My reflexes were fine, I assume because he didn't say anything, banbinski fine, again he did'nt say anything. I should have inquired, but I was scared.
I take anti anxiety meds for anxiety ie. lorazepam if I need it. there can bee months I don't. I don't want to be addicted. I tell you the mind is a powerful thing. I've been praying to God (not trying to get religous) and I do believe he is showing me I do have a problem. A problem of reading into terrible things and then getting anxious over it. I need to quit looking things up and dwelling on it. I would of NEVER heard of Lou Gerihits (Sp?) except I was reading about MG because that is what my friend really believes I have, but until i get blood work done, it's not confirmed. She isn't a doctor either. She is just speaking from experience.
The night I learned of ALS was a night of shear terror. I had a terrible panic attack. This has become a bondage for me. The fear I feel reading and thinking omg, I have that symptom, omg, I have this one too........it's horrible. I look at my 12, 9, and 1 year old children and want to break down and cry. My mom is dead, my dad is dead, I've been feeling like I'm going crazy. I quit reading these for a while and became better, not as jittery, but wondering in the back of my mind if it's als. Yesterday while in Walmart my arms and legs began to burn like i was working them out, but they weren't sore afterwords........and I haven't had any problems today and then what did I do..........came back to different ALS sites to read and the repetition began again. I woke up this morning so depressed I didn't get out of bed until noon. I decided this is it. I'm not feeding this anymore. I'm not going to read these boards because of what it does to me emotionally. I thank GOd for the health I have today, tomorrow, and in the future. I am certainly in no way talking bad about those who do come to the board. This seems like an awesome support group and the people are so helpful and willing to answer questions! That is so great! But for me, I have to give my brain a rest. I have to start thinking more positively and maybe my life will be happier and not filled with depression and anxiety about ever illness that will kill me. I admire the people that do have ALS that come on the board and speak to people and give their stories. I think that takes courage and a very strong person...........I admire that so much! So anyway I just wanted to share this with others and if this helps one person then I've done my job. If anyone wants to talk, my email address is casprob at aol dot com.
I wish you guys good health!
Piper!:!:

Piper,
My goodness! Even with ALS progression, we aren't devastated like this! Why would you choose to spend your time in a tizzy? You are young! Get yourself a friend, a spouse, a hobby, and a job you love. Enjoy your life and stop thinking of how it will end. Worry never adds a day to a life. Attitude is where it's at, not circumstances. Go in PEACE with anticipation of each new day you are given. Count your blessings instead of what you don't have. You are an adult and you CAN do it! Your children need your example. Go go Piper!

Come on get a grip. You have what it seems like 0 symptoms of ALS.. Your writing seems need I say hysterical....Why would you even think ALS. People come on hear so off the wall, I want to be sympathetic, but sometimes posts like this wear me out.

Yep, I'm worn out from reading all of that post also. piper-you need to see a dr, psychiatrist, counselor, preacher, SOMEONE- and get a handle on all of that depression and anxiety.
My goodness, ALS doesn't have to be like you describe it! I, for one, am living my life every day as if it were my last-and having a blast with my kids.
For your sake, I hope you don't read any more forums

this anxiety will consume you. it will ruin your life (a life you could be living in the meantime), and cause undue stress in those closest to you. it almost ruined me, so I'm saying this from experience.
honestly, take it easy until you are in a position to understand exactly what is going on with you. try and think optimistically.
and if you can't get around it, then understand that while ALS is an absolutely terrifying disease (especially for those who are young), you are not alone. unfortunately you are not that special. regardless of age, there are thousands and thousands of people all over the world with MND. and millions more with various other progressive diseases.
so until you know, absolutely know without a shred of doubt that you have this disease (or a disease similar to it), I'd honestly quit this forum...or don't come back until you're in a healthier frame of mind. it will only stand to perpetuate and intensify your anxiety (it did to me. as a lurker, and under this account).
So spend your time with your children, other close family and friends. Laugh as much as possible. Have a few beer, or a couple glasses of wine, try to relax. Wait until a clear-cut diagnoses. Then work from there.
Also there is so much hope for a better future for PALS. Things seem to be looking up. Ride with that.

Last edited:
I have gone through the same exact thing...doing much better now....but for a period of about 3 months...all i could do was look at my little girl and cry...constant panic attacks...always scared of death...was put on xanax, pexeva and effexor.

Piper ... I hope you're long gone from this forum ... but will add my 2 cents in case you're lurking again.

The anxiety and fear you are experiencing have nothing to do with ALS or any "symptoms" you may think you have. Panic attacks may seem to strike out of the blue, but there are always underlying emotional and psychological issues.

You've been given medication for your anxiety, yet you seem to stop taking it whenever you feel better. Are you taking it now? Can't you see the connection between the anxiety you are being treated for, and the anxiety you are experiencing now? You have glommed onto ALS, as a way to focus your anxiety on something OTHER than whatever it is in your life or in yourself that you don't want to face.

As others here have said ... you need some counseling and you need to take your prescribed medications and get to the bottom of what is really causing you this torment. It's not ALS. You seem to have picked this disease at random.

Is this really how you want to live your life? You're 33, young, in apparent good health, with three great kids, and you're totally miserable. Who gets the kids' breakfast while you're lying in bed till noon worrying about a disease you don't have? GET HELP. Your kids need a mother who is paying attention to them and in control of herself. Worrying about "getting addicted" to your meds? Oh, please ...

P.S. ... wishing people in an ALS support group "good health" is a little wacky in itself. I'll settle for "have a nice day!"

TAKE YOUR MEDS. GET HELP. LOVE YOUR KIDS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back