Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boxford
I have posted in the past for twitching that has gone on for about a year and a half in an isolated fashion in all areas of my body. Just recently (for the past 2 months or so) I have had ongoing twitching on my lower lid of my right eye. It mostly occurs after I blink or turn to look right or left but it has not let up. I have seen an eye doc. and after an exam simply said it is not too uncommon but if it does not resolve he may order a brain scan. I did have EMG last May which was clean and I still have occasional twitching here or there at times. My primary care doc. feels I need to be on an anti-anxiety med. It's just frustrating because you feel these twitches and when they become localized in one eye it only heightens your curiosity. I wish I could just ignore it and maybe it might help but it is easier said than done. I am wondering if anybody has any insight as to localized eye twitching and neurological causes. Thank you for any comments.

My husband has ALS and I have had eye twitches, bicep twitches, calve twitches etc.... some all at once... first one eye then the other. I never think that I am getting ALS.

ALS isn't that kind of twitching. My twitching is usually after overexerting my muscles like after I've stacked or carried wood, shoveled snow, or mowed the lawn with my power push-mower.

I asked my optometrist about the eye twitches, and he said it is from stress. After all the duress of the ALS diagnosed and the explosion that almost took Rick's leg, and the fact that I'm not allowed to see my grandchildren, has an effect.

I get floaters in my peripheral vision, and even see things that aren't there. I see people passing by..... pets..whatever.... That comes with old age. My eyes check out fine and I have no tumors.

Get more rest, relax, and don't overextend yourself and you'll be fine. ALS twitches are associated with other muscle-related symptoms or weaknesses besides just twitches.

Angie,

Following up on what Marjorie said. Eye twitching is fairly common especially in relation to stress. I had them all the time in grad school as well as several friends that are as fit as fiddles.

Take care,

Robert

Thank you

Thanks for the supportive and kind words...sometimes it's very difficult to discern the difference between stress induced symptoms and symptoms that are worthy of following through with doctors and tests. I do appreciate the fact that your mind can really convince your body of things that may or may not be true. I am very aware of my body and it's every twitch and I really wish there was a way to desensitize myself so to speak. I really love this forum and all the very special people who make it so special..
My very best to all.
Angie

Angie,

Following up on what Marjorie said. Eye twitching is fairly common especially in relation to stress. I had them all the time in grad school as well as several friends that are as fit as fiddles.

Take care,

Robert

Generally, I quite agree with that.

Well, in terms of medical explanations, under usual and non-congenital circumstances, the annoying eye twitch would normally be caused by the not so serious factors as follows (Please refer to the Curezone forum for further details) : -

# Stress
# Tiredness
# Eyestrain
# Caffeine
# Alcohol
# Dry eyes
# Nutritional imbalances
# Allergies

Next, under such situations, such annoying symptoms would usually come and go within a very short period of time and certainly the conditions would get better and better from time to time especially when certain related treatments are sought and administered to deal with the symptom.

However, under rare circumstances when the eye twitch symptom just get progressively and chronically and seriously unmitigated from bad to worse as well as seem to last permanently even when all sorts of related treatments are adminstered upon such illness to deal with it, such non-stop eye twitching symptom may then simply just manifest as one of the serious neuromuscular / neurological symptoms of :

# Tardive Dyskinesia (rapid involuntary uncontrollable eye blinking / eye twitching), which in most cases are caused by the neuromuscular / neurological side effects of certain powerful mind-altering medications and other neurological complications. Whilst the underlying mechanism of such a disease is such that the normal functionings of the neurotransmitters chemical dopamine which co-ordinates the miscellaneous human body movements in this case are disturbed, antagonized and disrupted in this case resulting in one's loss of control of human body movements, and in this case, one's eye / eyelids organ.

Not sure where or why you have written all this on an old post but.........constant eye twitching ( myokymia) is easily treated with Botox injections. Our local hospital does it all the time.

It's extremely common

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back