Reason
Other
Country
GE
State
Baden-Würtemmberg
City
Bruchsal
Hallo, I am 27 female and live in Germany. Sorry for my english. I have the same question for you? Is this ALS?
This is my story:
2005 - headache, facial numbness left
2006 - back and facial pain
2007 - facial pain, cramps, lump in throat (only in the left side of my body). The first visit by neuro. The doctor said, that it was all right.
2008 - yawning, lump in my throat, cramps, pain (face, arm,shoulder), rest legs, numbness and twiching.
MRI - ok.
I was by 5 neuros. All said, that it was all richt with my reflexes and I had not do EMG, but I wanted to do this. EMG was made in my arm and leg - clear.
I have a lot of pain, cramps and this lump feeling in my throat is awful. I can´t sleep I am fatigued. I think, that I have bulbar form of ALS. I have this lump in my throat and my throat is "burning". The cramps are so painful. I take neurontin, but it doesn`t help.
The doctors say, I am to young to have ALS and I have my simptoms 4 years and it is to long. How long does it take by you, before the weakness and atrophy come?

Olga, I'm sorry you are having these distressing symptoms, but five neuros have examined and tested you, and agree that you do not have ALS, so that's reassuring.

One of the most common symptoms associated with anxiety is the "lump in the throat" feeling. That is not a part of ALS.

I understand that bulbar ALS almost always starts with slurred speech. If I were you, I'd check with my primary care doctor and ask if he or she can try to find what else might be causing this. Don't be afraid to mention anxiety. Certainly putting up with these symptoms for four years is enough to cause anybody to be anxious.

Good luck. I hope they find the answer soon.

Olga,

If its any comfort, ALS is a Motor neuron disease and is not a Sensory neuron disease. Problems with sensory nerves could cause pain but motor neurons involve movement of muscles. With ALS, you would notice problems with the movement of your muslces and not the pain you've been having.

I would take Beth's advice if I were you and allow your GP to take another look at you. Who knows, you may have something as simple as a pinched nerve.

Thank you for answer, I have read this forum about 3 mounths and I can say: you are a great people! I have learned a lot here, for example abot coca-cola, it helps me by this lump feeling, but my twiching and pain are making me crazy. :cry:
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back