Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
ny
State
new york
City
valley stream
Hello my name is Sean, im a 22 year old male college basketball player. My story started about a year ago, i had an episode of extreme fear, and aniexty took over my life. My father has an aniexty disorder as well, i think i might of inherited it from him. lucky me. Ive been through blood tests to brain mri everything has came back normal thankgod. About a month ago my hamstring muscle start twitching, it went away for a while then about 2 weeks ago it came back. The twitch is almost always in my left buttox and left hamstring, it comes and goes throughout the day. Now twitches have started to spread into my left knee, back, right calf, right forearm, sometimes in my hand and once in a while in my feet. Ive also noticed im becoming more fatigued lately, it seems like i loose energy much faster on the basketball court. I dont think i feel much muscle weakness i can still do most of all my intense drills for quickness and indurance, as well as run 3 miles and jump rope 1 to 2 minutes at a time fast speed. I have a lot of pain in my hips and my knees as well. Ive been pushing my body through some intense workouts for the last couple of days to test my muscle strenght. It doesnt seem to be less strenght just more or less dilblating fatigue sometimes. I know twitching is not a sure sign symptom of ALS but mine started on one side which made me nervous. Ive been searching and searching checking symptoms all day long which is driving me nuts. My nurologist when i mentioned twitching to him told me the nerve test and EMG is uncomfortable and your a little too young to bring up ALS. So he sent me for unrine and blood tests for calicum thryoid etc. Ive noticed my hands feet legs go numb like never before. I also have pain in my wrists, and notice my fingers are weaker and jam easily but that could be just in my mind. Does this sound like early stages of ALS? Im sorry for asking and i know people who really have it, its horrible and dumb people like me worried about it seem so immature. It scares me to have this fatigue come accross my body plus the muscle twitching mainily in my upper left buttox now spreading a little more. Ive notice too my hands shake and my left arm seems to shake and twitch after practice or a workout. My voice seems a little strained too which is making me nervous, becoming harder to sing to songs on the radio. I would really appreciate a reply i am driving myself crazy and i convinced myself i have ALS and something is seroiusly wrong. Also the fatigue i brought up before is like i want to do something but i feel too tired and weak to do it. Its not all the time but its been happening more and more. I am very scared. Any reply would help a great deal THANKS SO MUCH SEAN!

Does this sound like ALS? sorry for bothering anyone please help

Hello my name is Sean, im a 22 year old male college basketball player. My story started about a year ago, i had an episode of extreme fear, and aniexty took over my life. My father has an aniexty disorder as well, i think i might of inherited it from him. lucky me. Ive been through blood tests to brain mri everything has came back normal thankgod. About a month ago my hamstring muscle start twitching, it went away for a while then about 2 weeks ago it came back. The twitch is almost always in my left buttox and left hamstring, it comes and goes throughout the day. Now twitches have started to spread into my left knee, back, right calf, right forearm, sometimes in my hand and once in a while in my feet. Ive also noticed im becoming more fatigued lately, it seems like i loose energy much faster on the basketball court. I dont think i feel much muscle weakness i can still do most of all my intense drills for quickness and indurance, as well as run 3 miles and jump rope 1 to 2 minutes at a time fast speed. I have a lot of pain in my hips and my knees as well. Ive been pushing my body through some intense workouts for the last couple of days to test my muscle strenght. It doesnt seem to be less strenght just more or less dilblating fatigue sometimes. I know twitching is not a sure sign symptom of ALS but mine started on one side which made me nervous. Ive been searching and searching checking symptoms all day long which is driving me nuts. My nurologist when i mentioned twitching to him told me the nerve test and EMG is uncomfortable and your a little too young to bring up ALS. So he sent me for unrine and blood tests for calicum thryoid etc. Ive noticed my hands feet legs go numb like never before. I also have pain in my wrists, and notice my fingers are weaker and jam easily but that could be just in my mind. Does this sound like early stages of ALS? Im sorry for asking and i know people who really have it, its horrible and dumb people like me worried about it seem so immature. It scares me to have this fatigue come accross my body plus the muscle twitching mainily in my upper left buttox now spreading a little more. Ive notice too my hands shake and my left arm seems to shake and twitch after practice or a workout. My voice seems a little strained too which is making me nervous, becoming harder to sing to songs on the radio. I would really appreciate a reply i am driving myself crazy and i convinced myself i have ALS and something is seroiusly wrong. Also the fatigue i brought up before is like i want to do something but i feel too tired and weak to do it. Its not all the time but its been happening more and more. I am very scared. Any reply would help a great deal THANKS SO MUCH SEAN!

Sean, it doesn't sound at all like ALS.

If you've been pushing yourself with strength tests, that could explain the fatigue. Check out Benign Fasciculations Syndrome. (There's a sticky here with a link to that forum.) Twitches are much more a sign of BFS than ALS. In any case, ALS doesn't present the way you describe.

Thankyou so much i will def look into BFS. Im just worried about the fatigue more than anything, but you are a big help thankyou. It can be very worriesome especially if you never felt like this before. People tell me not to worry cause im too young but you tend to worry about things like this, scary sometimes. What makes you say ALS doesnt present itself in that way? thanks for the help

Sean, OK calm down............I can see by your post that you are a little anxious, to say the least. First of all what you describe does not sound like ALS, you are jumping off the bridge way to fast.. Look you have a more than huge chance of something way less dark or dreary. Of course we can not examine you or diagnosed but hearing your description seem's like could be a ton of things, and the least of which would be als. I think you need to talk to your doctor about your worry, and maybe he can look into some very treatable conditions if in fact he is concerned. Go play basketball, study, and write important things like your College studies..

Numbness, shakes, pain are not symptoms of ALS. All these symptoms don't come at once with ALS either. Anxiety can cause just about everythibg you've named. We're not doc's but I'd suggest you see one about the anxiety. I'd bet your symptoms go away with the proper meds.

AL.

Yes i think your right, i appreciate the replys, its just a scary thing that i am going through. Im always checking myself for atrophy and other signs of ALS. I think your right much of this could be aniexty, its just hard to believe it sometimes. The twitches just bother me because of the fatigue and pain in my wrists that come along with it. Thanks for understand

Thankyou for the reply, i think your right much of this is aniexty, but its hard to believe sometimes. Im always checking myself for atrophy and other signs of ALS. Can aniexty make you feel fatigued? Thankyou so much for taking the time out to read my posts, i know they could get annoying. The twitches just scare me along with the fatigue so my mind runs a million miles per hour. I guess this is why im not getting as much sleep at night and its hard for me to fall asleep, you guys are really truely great in this forum. Bless you all!:-o

Merged your two threads. No point in having 2 the same.

AL.

o ok sorry, i have a quick question after all i mentioned from right big tie is bigger then my left big toe, i dunno if its atrophy but it seems like my left big toe is much skinner then my right one. I dunno if that makes any sense

isle667,

Toes do not contain muscles, so someone who has ALS will not experience their toes or fingers shrinking from the disease.

Do yourself, and anyone who cares for you a favor, and stop measuring and examining yourself.

I agree with the others on here, that even though we're not doctors, what you describe does not even remotely sound like ALS. It would be a good time for you to make an appointment with your regular primary care doc, and discuss trying something to treat your anxiety with this. There is no stigma attached to having feelings of anxiety, and they are very treatable.

good luck to you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back