Learn about ALS
Country
BR
State
ES
City
Vitoria
Hello,

Sorry for the long message but I would like an opinion.

- Year 2005:

I was 29 years old. On april I ran my first marathon. After the marathon I gave me a break for rest and travel and stopped the exercises. One month later I felt muscle twitches in my rigth knee. As my father has neurophaty peripherical, serching on internet about neurological conditions to help him, I knew what twicthes could mean then I was scared and went to a doctor specialized in neuromuscular diseases (ALS).

He did a neuro clinical exams and the results were all normal. After a few days the fasciculations widespreaded (legs, shoulders, forarms, abdomen, back,...), not constants (just rapid fires) and not everyday. On june 2005 I back to my doctor and after I persisted a lot he did an EMG (4 limbs). Everything was normal. The fasciculations didn't stop and on september I back to my doctor again. He did all clinical exams again, all normal and after I persisted a lot he did an another EMG. All normal again (just rare fasciculations was showed but he told me it is normal). Then I put my worries out of my mind.

- Year 2009:

I am 32 years old. Since 2005 (marathon) I stopped my regular/intense exercises, my weight up from 220 lbs to 275 lbs. Nowdays I just practice some jogging and playing tennis (once a week). The widespread fasciculations have never stopped completely since 2005. Mostly when my muscles are at rest.

On last december I stopped my exercises and ate a lot (gained 8 lbs). Together with it came some vague pains, never in the same place (sometimes in foot, sometimes in calf, sometimes in arm, sometimes in leg,...). Mostly when when I am at rest (mainly after I wake up). When I am moving me, almost always no vague pains!

No weakness or atrophy (that I noticed...).

1) Should I be worried with these vague pains? It has been happening every day...not every time, they come and go!

2) And about the widespread twitches for almost 4 years? Is it normal?

3) Is it normal fasciculations in quadriceps? I feel it sometimes (right and left leg)...and in the other places, of course.

4) The fact of gain/lose weight in a small period of time could increase the fasciculations and start these vague pains?

5) And about anxiety? I back to think about it everyday (google...internet...) again like year 2005!

6) I called to my neurologist (the same I went on 2005) and he said it is not necessay an appointment due these things. Is it reasonable?

An the last one...if my doctor (specialized in neuromuscular diseases) says me I am fine just doing clinical exams, without EMG, could I put my worries out of my mind?

Thank you for your time, all the best for you!

Yes, put it out of your mind. I have had muscle twitches for 20 years. If there are no other symptoms (I guess the vague pain could be anything) don't worry about ALS.

That I noticed no weakness and atrophy. What would be other symptoms?

I am worried about my fasciculations (4 years - back more intense last month), about these vague pains...

:sad:

Other symptoms are way to numerous to mention and it would just heighten your anxiety.

Seriously, do not spend time on here with just muscle twitching. You will go nuts.

I was 'nuts' in 2005. I was able to put the worries out of my mind.

But, last month, with these vague pains...everything back: my worries, hours spending at work on google, forums, internet...

It is driving me crazy again! :sad:

I was 'nuts' in 2005. I was able to put the worries out of my mind.

But, last month, with these vague pains...everything back: my worries, hours spending at work on google, forums, internet...

It is driving me crazy again! :sad:

And my fasciculations: sometimes I see and feel them, sometimes is worm-like, sometimes is like 'vibrations' (cell-phone)...they come and go!

Nobody here is going to be able to help you! We will listen and try to help in any way we can. The truth is that there are many people here dealing with a severe fatal disability, but they are not docs, and especially can't diagnose muscle twitches and vague pains.

You are perfectly healthy right now. Try to stay off this site and do something to keep yourself occupied!

And what do you think would be a "true" sympthom to concern and back to my neuro?

I can assure you I am trying hardly to put the worries out of my mind.

Thank you for your kind attention.

Well....muscle atrophy and weakness to start. You seem like a clear example of someone with Benign Fasciculation Syndrome (no atrophy, no weakness).

Go to a happy place in your mind and get out of that 2005 mindset; you will only drive yourself crazy for no need.

Take care

Lydia

Hard is figure out when it is 'perceived' weakness or 'real' weakness, about these vague pains.

I read many PALS saying the first symptoms were fasciculations when they were diagnosed. Could anyone tell me if these fasciculations were together weakness/abnormal reflexes? Or just fasciculations alone?

Be sure I am trying to rest my mind!

Thank you for the atention.

GGKK ... when you say you read many PALS who say they started out with fasciculations, I worry that you might be reading posts from people WITHOUT ALS who post to this forum a lot. There is no clear way to tell if you're reading something from someone who has ALS or from someone who is just worried about it. Some of us mention our diagnosed status in our bio, most do not.

As to your most important question: Can you trust your doctor when he says you're fine ... yes! He is the one who has examined you and he is the expert on the subject.

GGKK,

Not a doctor nor a PAL, but from everything I've hear dor read, fasciculation as the first and only initial symptom of ALS is very rare. Twitching without weakness or atrophy can be annoying, but is usually from a beneign or readily treatable cause.

Robert

I would enjoy the twitches, if I were you and look at it as getting exercise without the intentional effort. Your twitches aren't doing you any harm if they've been going on for such a long time. If your twitching (fasciculations) were pathologic, you probably wouldn't be able to do much by now.

As long as you can still do all of the things that you have done before without having to exert any more effort than you have before, you are fine.

People that have ALS usually notice weakness first. They can't lift like they use to, can't walk like they use to or talk like they use to. Atrophy takes a while and does not happen over night.

I enjoy my twitching, which is nonstop. When I get bored, I just look down at my legs and let them entertain me. I've been told my EMG's were clean so, no worries about ALS.

I'm currently trying to train my twitches to twitch to Beatles tunes.

Kim

You are sooo funny! I am learning to let my twitches go as the LEAST of my concerns!

GGKK

I would try to remember how worried you were in 2005 and yet you were fine and spent alot of time worrying! If you had these sx before and they did not get worse and your exams are good, then that is good news! If you had weakness after all this time of twitching you would know it! If you can run and play tennis, then you are fine for now. I only say now because none of us know the future. I have those vague pains that are all over my body and no diagnosed of als as of yet......

hang in there!'

april

Thank you for all the responses. I will do my best to put the worries out of my mind (again) and enjoy the life!

awieleba,

What are your symptoms? And your diagnosed?

One symptom that is boring me a lot is a fasciculation in my left calf that I do not feel, just see it! The other ones I feel and see them!

Best wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back