Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
Shucks, I've been watching my right eyelid the past several weeks hoping it was just my imagination or perhaps it was just tired and would perk back up but nope. Looks like its a real drooper.

Normally, this would point towards MG (or some other stuff) but can reflexes be hyper with MG? It could still be a pinched nerve, couldn't it?

Just throwing some stuff out here, folks.

Zaphoon

My doctors noted bilateral ptosis (droopy eyelid) at my last appt. It is not visible to me, but they poked around my eye for a while and said I had it.

I know how you feel, adding it to the laundry list huh?

However, my doctor said that droopy eyelids are common in several myopathies so maybe a muscle biopsy would reveal the cause of that for you as well.

Hey, Kim and Ibeyerl ... I don't know if reflexes can be hyper with MG, but for sure, the old "eyelid at half-mast" is a red flag for MG. I bet Prof. Wright (or Dr. Google) would know.

At least it points to a possible good answer. Let there be hope ! :) :) :)

Last edited:
zaphoon. I too have a droopy eyelid on the left side, it is the same one that has been twitching for the last 5 months, also feels a little like dry eye too. Also could someone clarify for me exactly what hyer or brisk refexes are? thanks margaret

The simple answer would be that I have a combination of:
BFS (basically harmless but hell)
FSS (Frozen Shoulder Syndrome) both shoulders (purgatory range)
Drooping eyelid (simply due to old age and only compliments my looks)

Now, if I could get a simple explanation to the hyperreflexec and spastic things, I'm all done with the diagnosed.

Margaret,

Hyper reflexes are reflexes that are very, very responsive to stimuli. Take the tendon reflex on your knee, for example. When the Dr. hits that sweet spot with his rubber mallet and it makes your leg jump out, if it jumps way more than it should, it is considered hyper (over active).

I am told that this deals with the UMN's.

There are also reflexes on your ankles, arms, feet and jaw that they will check.

Zaphoon

Last edited:
I would be interested to hear more on the MG angle. Perhaps now that you have the "half-mast" eye they may try an MG treatment to see if it helps. I don't mean to be a downer, but I was under the impression (I can certainly be wrong as I don't remember where I heard it) that facial weakness could be tied to UMN or cranial nerves as well. That might explain the hyperflexia. Hopefully someone with more experience/background will chime in.

Robert

I also have the drooping eyelid thing and it is also the eye that twitches all of the time (left) and the eye that gets super dry at night. I am interested to hear what everyone has to say about this.

CB1977

A cause of droopy eye is MG from what I understand. Most with MG, whether they have the MuSK or more common form have at least some eye droop.

CB, if your eye that droops is the driest, maybe its because of poor eye closure.

BTW, my eyes do not droop, nor does my vision sag, neuro tested be for a long time to see if I could sustain an upwards gaze, and I had no difficulty with it. I do have weak eye closure & dry eye.

Last edited:
Rose ... I think the test where they see if you can sustain an upward gaze is for Progressive Supranuclear Palsy, which is something I don't want even more than I don't want ALS.

CB, I don't *think* that any twitching ... on the eyelid or elsewhere ... accompanies the droopy lid in MG. It just droops. And I *think* that ocular symptoms are the slightly less common form of MG, but don't hold me to that. Ocular symptoms of MG can include double vision (weakness in the muscles controlling the eye). The double vision is not connected to the droopy lid. You can have one or the other, both or none.

Z-
I'm going for the ole pinched nerve theory affecting your eye?

Wishing you only the best,
-b

Beth,

Thanks for clarifying about the sustained gaze, I just assumed when she asked me to do this, because it was back at the beginning of the diagnostic process (well, not the beginning, but my beginning with her) and we'd just been discussing MG (and how she did not think I had it either) I agree, I don't want PSP either! don't know much about it, other than what you'd written here on the forum, but that was enough to put it on the "Not Wanted" list. :)

Rose,

Is it the eye weakness in terms of closure that's a cranial nerve symptom? I don't remember where, but I could have sworn I'd heard somewhere regarding facial weakness. If the drooping eyelid is pretty clearly MG, then that is awesome (well not as nice as never getting sick). MG is often treated right into remission. BFS and MG... with maybe a little pinched nerve thrown in for spice.

Robert

I do believe that I have eye weakness that is causing these issues with the droop and dryness. I also have issues as far as my face feeling stiff. Whatever I have, it is certainly affecting my face along with everything else. There have been times where my face feels sore like what you get when you laugh a whole bunch. Twitching actually first occured in my left eye and stayed there for about 3 months until spreading everywhere. This was all the way back in Feb 08 of last year. The one thing that stands out for me that I might have MG is that my muscles get progressivly tired throughout the day and then feel somewhat refreshed (but still not back to normal) in the morning. I am under the understanding that with ALS it is just more of a constant fatigue or weakness and with MG it gets worse as the day goes on.

CB1977

Robert, yes the weak eye closure, I was told in my particular case, is due to weak 7th cranial nerve. Neither of my eyes droop at all, but I can't squeeze them tightly, and now when I smile, my right eye doesn't squinch up like the left does. If you look at my avatar, the right side is my right, and you can see my face is "flatter" on that side, my mouth doesn't move as much, nor does my cheek (or eye).

The doctors tell me the right side of tongue is weaker, but its the left side of vocal cords & soft palate. I can't differentiate at all in these places on my own.

CB, I don't know how long it takes a muscle affected by MG to recover. Or if at some point one realizes that they're not recovering back to where they originally started out. BethU might know this.

Zaphoon

I was told my right eyelid being droopy was probably the spinal problem in my neck pressing on nerves, but will probably know more tomorrow when my results are in.

Renee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back