Learn about ALS
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Oakville
Hey gang

November 2008 after bouts of unexplained twitching in my ancles, feet calfs, biceps (on and off, pulse here and there) for a few weeks, had to go on-line and cyberdiagnose what I had.
You can guess what I came up with. It also made me dig deeper into my family history and confirm that three of my mothers cousins, all brothers from the same family, fought with ALS.

Went to family dr, appointment made (he didn't even know that ALS was), pulled some strings got a Neuro appt. Standard Tests done including EMG: From his report
"Nerve conduduction studies were performed in this upper and lower extremities. These showed some mild decreased velociites of his right tibial, although for the mostpart, these were within normal limits. EMG demonstrated mild fasciculations in left anterior tibial muscle his left gastrocnemius muscle and his left first digit interosseous. His right gastrocnemius also demonstrated some fasciculations"

Question : Does this sound like a "Clean EMG" ?

I didnt think so. He's referred me to an ALS clinic for further eval as "ALS could not be ruled out with certainty" appt set for Feb.

p.s.
New symptoms noticed since include scallopped twitching tongue (white) but can move it ok. Last few normal stationary bike rides, difficulty getting full deep breaths at peak of program on my normal setting. Some nites ackward sleeping on stomach. swallowing seems laboured eg pizza tonight. Twiching there but less frequent and less notiicable.
I have been lifting weights, stretching, excercising - strength stable as far as I can tell. Walking ok. I'm trying to monitor myself all the time till next appointment.
rb

Hi Oakville,
Just wanted to say hello. I'm sure someone more qualified if-you-will (like Forum memeber "Wright") will read and reply to your post. In the meantime you can use the Search function on the Forum. Type in "EMG" and I'm sure you'll hit a boatload of strings. Also check out the Sticky's at the top of this portion of the Forum, they are particularly useful.

What ALS clinic are you visiting? Is it in Toronto? I've been to Oakville as I dated someone from Welland for many years and he had friends there :)

I'm sorry that you're doctor said ALS could not be ruled out right now, but I truly hope that after your clinic visit it will be. When are you going?

Take care,
Suzann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back