Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Pall alto
I am scared to the point of panic.

I am going for my EMG on Tues and I am scared to death. My Neuro keeps telling me not to worry because I pass her damn tests. To me those test don't mean a thing.

What is meaningfull is how I feel. The fasics are all over my body. They were not there last week. Although rare and slight they are there.

My swallowing is effected and my speech at a lower volume and gets raspy. When I tell my Nuero this she asks if I am slurring when i say no she reply that I should not worry.

I am so scared that the EMG will be dirty.

My Nuero also tells me that my reflexes are normal to hypo and my strength on all those test is fine or above normal.

Has anyone out there been DX with ALS that passed the Babinski test and had normal reflexes.

i can't concentrate, can't sleep and what is driving me more crazy is the thought that this could also me in my head.

Can someone talk me down here!

Thanks

Calm down, you can't have ALS with normal reflexes.
Good luck with the test and let us know how it goes.

I agree with crystal. If your reflexes are hypo, that may indicate some other 'treatable' condition. I would be surprised with normal reflexes and normal exam and no weakness if your emg was that of als. It may indicate something but I dought als.

I have brisk reflexes, weakness, atrophy, and alot of body wide twitching and a clean emg if that puts it in perspective for you. I was SURE that emg was going to be dirty, well it wasnt. Try to look at this emg as pinning down what is going on not that is a sure fire bet to als. Take it from someome who has had the fear and been at this for awhile.

rest easy

april

April,

Thank you! All of these scenarios are running thru my mind. I don't know that my voice and swallowing issues are real or anxiety over this.

how was your Babinski? My fasics are not twitches they are more like a small bubbling.

my babinski was normal and my twitching in the start was small single pops. Then sometimes big pops that I could see through clothes. Then they seem to go away for a few days or weeks and then they are back again. I Use to worry about them but I dont anymore.

I had/have the voice thing and went to an ENT for it even. He used a scope and looked in my throat, I told Him I was worried about MND. He said that he did not see anything of that. I even asked him to look for parlyzed vocal cords or 'bowing' of them. He said that I have LPR, some form of gerd that feels like a lump and irritation of cords.

I just tell you this becauase I was so worried and fearful (still am) and it just doent help or get ya anywhere. I think it takes time to get to the point of just letting it be.

I think that you will feel better after your emg, just relax during it. I visualized me and my family on a big boat in the water on a sunny day.

best wishes....

My reflexes are are brisk and this was the give away that I had ALS. If you have MS seemingly your reflexes are not brisk at all. Matter of fact the opposite. Hopefully and we will pray that you have something else not so bad. My mother always said "No news is good news" Keep you chin up until after the EMG:grin:

beach,
please, please calm down! Nothing to get all wound up about, my goodness. There are things far worse than having an EMG done. And if your twitches are worse now than last week, it doesn't sound like ALS anyway. Typically doesn't move that quickly, so I've learned.
I don't recall if you work or have family, but please find something to occupy your mind until next Tues. Stress can become a nightmare if you let it.
please...RELAX
The sun will still come up tomorrow morning,
-b

EMG's are a cake walk and when the results are normal, like a breath of fresh air! I'd like to echo Brenda - relax. Remember, its just another tool in the toolkit for the neuro.

Zaphoon

Beach61,

Be cool, I know its easier said than done, but I find in my own situation that the more I *research* / stress about all the testing and results I'll go into full blown panic mode that literally ends up costing me a week or so of wasted time. Time spent / wasted on worry. Take a deep breath, say a prayer and know that what will be will be. Now go have a glass of wine for me haha.

adios

My partner has normal Babinski (absent) but brisk reflexes and a Hoffman sign in his hands. All of this, minor twitching, significant hand atrophy, dirty EMGs and normal MRI plus blood work that ruled out other conditions was used as a basis to diagnose him with MND. EMG results on their own need not signal anything in particular.

I understand how you are feeling but you should try to calm down as right now there is very little reason to go through various (possible) scenarios.

I was feeling better because of the reflex issue, but noted a few post of folks who had normal reflex and were Dx .

Does the EMG process hurt, will they give me a report immediately after the test?

Hi Beach,
Just echoing the others. It's SO HARD, but do everyting and anything you can to keep as busy as possible until Tuesday! Funny how time really DOES fly by when you're having fun, and yet that damn pot of water never boils when you're standing there watching it :)

I personally did not find the EMG bothersome at all. The tail end of the nerve conduction study was.....uncomfortable at the most. I don't even think I said "ouch" once :)

If you indulge, have some wine or other (adult beverage) go out with friends, see a movie or two. The good news is you will most likely get your results immediately after the test is done, my neuro even told me the results of each individual muscle as he did it. (BTW, I too thought for sure it would be dirty, dirty, dirty . . .nope! Just a neruopathy in my left leg and the neuro thought it was no big deal)

Take care,
Suzann

Hurt? No, most people don't find it fun. Uncomfortable? Depends on the person. Report? Usually depends on who does the test. Neuro will usually tell if he/she does test themselves. If it's a tech. then you wait.
Good luck. Try not to worry.

AL.

The needle they use is so small that it doesn't even hurt when they jiggle it around in your muscle to get readings.

Thanks so much!

I hate to harp on this but has anyone heard of a ALS Dx with normal reflex?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back