difficulty swallowing with no muscle weakness - how tell als from myasthenia (yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

perplexed

Country
CA
State
Quebec
City
Montreal
Hi there - I've posted under other headings, but am honing my questions as time goes on. Has anyone presented with swallowing difficulty and mucous/saliva in the mouth but no muscle issues? Can als present like this (bearing in mind any condition can present atypically) or is it more consistent with myasthenia gravis? We haven't run the full gamut of tests and are of course terrified. My husband can only eat soft foods and milkshakes and soups now as he's scared to choke.
Many thanks to all of you.

There are two blood tests for Myasthenia. The Myasthenia AB test, and the MuSK Myasthenia AB test. However, according to my doctor it is possible to have myasthenia with both of these blood tests remaining negative.

There are other tests that are performed on weak muscles like the single fiber emg, and repetitive stimulation (or maybe its called evoke potential) tests. I am not sure if they would do these if only the throat is weak though.

I have had an extensive work up for MG, so this is just my experience talking I'm not a doctor.

Hope you find an answer soon.

perplexed~
check out the search engine at top of page, BethU has posted alot about MG and knows alot about it.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back