Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
pa
City
tobyhanna
Hello,
I posted here a while back here https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5534

Anyway my symptoms seem to be slowly progressing to the point where my right arm now has tremors from my shoulder all the way to my wrist. They are probably most visible in my tricep just due to the size of the muscle its easy to see them hopping around in there.
The other day I measured my right forearm in 2 spots and it is 1/2 inch smaller in diameter in the middle where the 2 muscles come together and at the top of the forearm at the most muscular area.

I've been trying to ignore this and continue working out even targeting those areas to see if i get any growth. I notice during workouts the muscles that seem to have 'atrophy' get less tight during workouts so I can only assume that there is less blood flow or less muscle to flow to.

I guess my question is twofold.
1. I have a 2 week leave scheduled in Feb is a 1 visit at home to the neuro worthwhile or should I just wait till Im home for good in the late summer of 2009.
2. Do these symptoms sound like ALS? Yup im asking the 64000 dollar question. Im really finding myself almost obsessing over this lately. Yeah Im really freaking out over this.

Thanks again for all your time.

11bravo

11bravo,

First off, thank you for your service. My brother was injured in Iraq last Christmas time. Its been an interesting road, but he will be going back overseas after the first of the year.

I think it would be worth while to pop in and see a neuro while you're back. For more difficult to diagnose conditions its helpful to get baselines, even if there hasn't been a trmendous amount of change. Another mostly clean bill of health will help your wellbeing. Also, as was mentioned in your other post it is important to get as much documentary material as possible into your service record in case you need it later.

I don't have the medical background to really comment on your symptoms, although I think you really shouldn't have ALS on the radar screen at all. Based on what you have said, your symtpoms cold be as simple as some issue with some nerves in your arm, or another type of neuropathy.

Best of luck,

Robert

I am not a Dr. but I have been in this ALS world for almost eight months now. I have been to four neuro's and had two dirty EMG's and noticeable atrophy in my left calf. I also have occasional twitching in various parts of my body. But the most important symptom I have is the lack of weakness. The last two neuro's have said I do not have ALS. If you just have twitching that's not ALS, and true atrophy is very very noticeable. Go to a competent Dr just to be checked out and to ease your mind, worrying about something like this can consume your life.

Yes go to the doctor. As someone else here said once, a clean bill of health from your doctor is priceless. You have enough on your plate being overseas. Several men in my family are in the military; I appreciate yours and their service. My son wants to join also...

Lydia

11Bravo: Ditto what everyone else said- THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SERVING OUR COUNTRY!
I would think a trip to the Dr. or neuro would definately be in order while you are "home" You have enough time now where you should be able to get something set up in advance.

Hang in there, be safe and know that you are welcome to come here and share your fears!

thanks

Hey all, I just wanted to say thanks for the replies. I love what I do and I love serving our country. I'm definitely going to setup an appointment with the neuro Doc when I get home and at least let him give me a once over and if he thinks its necessary another emg. I have alot more fasics in my arm now compared to 6 months ago when I went for my first emg, back then I was more of a twitcher. I think what really had me worried was when I started noticing a difference in my arms size wise and the big dent in my smaller forearm. Anyway there isn't much I can do over here but worry and that won't get me any closer to good bad or indifferent.

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement. I've learned alot about ALS in the past 6 months and plan on supporting those affected by it in any way I can when I get back from the sandbox.

adios

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back