Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
CH
State
Switzerland
City
Zurich
I always thought and heard that if you have fasciculations due to ALS there is always a sort of weakness present also as pathology of the desease (what the neuros would see in the clinical exam). But now I have read here that twitches comes first and weakness can occur much later....what's right? (I had a clinical and a clean EMG) four weeks after the fascics started).

Please read Rose's new thread on "First Signs." Although I am currently undiagnosed (and my neuros do not believe it is NMD), most of the "ALS stories" I have read here and other places follow with what Rose stated. That is, suddenly finding function impaired in some way (speech, ability to perform a common task). Muscle twitching is either a simultaneous symptom, or occurs at a later date.

The number of cases I have read about where twitching was the only initial symptom are very rare. Sometimes threads on this board can be confusing because many of the people who post in the section of the forum are undiagnosed, and muscle twitching is one of the most common reasons people are initially attracted to this board.

Best wishes,

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back