sdsyd

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
sd
City
piedmont
Hi all. I have been going to PT for just over a month now. I am really wondering at this point if it is worth continuing due to delayed onset muscle soreness and the way my ankles feel for days afterward. She is very nice in modifying the resistance levels, but I have always been the type of person to downplay the level of "hardness" of exercise. I'm a tough cookie afterall. I know this topic has been discussed many times on here and I'm sorry to be beating a dead horse, but SHOULD I continue to try and strenghten the unaffected muscles or go back to passive stretch? I feel that rest gives me the most relief actually. Though, I do think the one thing it has helped is my endurance.

My orthotics might still be in this week, due to the blizzard we had here, mail was delayed by at least 2 days.

Neuro faxed request to ALS clinic and they are supposed to call this week to set up the appt. If they don't call by Wed, I will call them Thurs.

Thanks, your advice as always is appreciated.

Cindy
Undiagnosed.. last written Dx- Suspect MND

Please read:

Moderate Exercise May Slow Progression of Lou Gehrig's Disease
Daily routine could strengthen muscles, contribute to better quality of life, study finds

(HealthDay News) -- Doing moderate strengthening exercises may help people with early-stage amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) maintain physical function and quality of life for a longer period of time, a new Canadian study says.

The 27 people in the study did a daily stretching routine that's standard for patients with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. One group of 13 patients also did moderate strengthening exercises with weights three times a week.

Each month for six months, the researchers assessed physical function, fatigue and overall quality of life in all the participants. Ten people in the stretching group and eight people in the strengthening group completed the study.

The patients in the strengthening group had a 12 percent slower decrease in function and a 16 percent slower decline in quality of life over the six months than patients in the stretching-only group.

The findings are published in the June 5 issue of the journal Neurology .

"Even though exercise might not ultimately affect the progression of ALS, exercise may improve function, increase muscle strength for a period of time and prevent the effects of disuse," study author Vanina Dal Bello-Haas, of the University of Saskatchewan in Saskatoon, said in a prepared statement.

"Individualized rehabilitation programs should be designed and provide to allow people with ALS to maintain their independence and function for as long as possible," Dal Bello-Haas said.

More information

The Muscular Dystrophy Association has more about ALS.

By Robert Preidt
SOURCE: American Academy of Neurology, news release, June 4, 2007
Last Updated: May 2008
Copyright © 2008 ScoutNews LLC. All rights reserved.

Thanks for posting that interesting study. I have stopped all strength-building exercises in Pilaties for my arms, as they are clearly weakened and there is atrophy in hands and forearms, but I am still using light resistance springs for my legs and "core."

The problem is, when I do leg exercises, I usually get small cramps in my legs and feet, and I don't think that's a good sign. It would be great, though, if we could rebuild muscle through exercise. That would make a huge difference.

Cindy

I am not the best person to ansswer as I stopped after one vist. It was to depressing for me. If the problems that address my weakness can not be addressed than why? I am a busy young mom of 3! I am moving and carrying my baby. I cook and clean and go up down stairs, in and out of car and i have to put 2 of my kids in and carry out. I clean a 4800 sq ft house and do laundry and go grocery shopping. I have to wrestle with my boys. YOU get the idea.

I would live your active life and do stretching ROM. JMO, but It has worked for me. I know I dont have a diagnosed, but we have alot of similiar sx.

I stopped exercise since it made me clinically weaker. But I regain some strength with rest, thus making me think what I have is autoimmune.
I started exercise again but my shortness of breath got in the way. I think I will try again, though. I might feel different if I had a DX of MND, but as things stand I doubt it could hurt and, if it does, it might even force a DX.

thanks for the replies, guys. I think I will try and continue. ( Some of you know I do OT for a living... so being on the "patient" end is MUCh different)

I will continue to have her help me adjust them until we find a program that will work. She is trying to help me find unaffected muscles to BUILD up.

Much Love and admiration to all of you-

Cindy

Cindy, I also have been thinking and wondering about the subject of exercise. It seems logical to me that it would be a good thing to strengthened up unaffected muscles. I am interested in knowing how you are coming along with being able to identify those muscles and if it is possible to isolate them in an exercise program. One of my sons is a PT, but has not worked with any ALS patients, so he hasn't been able to advise me, other than to not fatigue my leg muscles. I'm just getting started with an ALS Clinic, and exercise is one of my main concerns. Thanks for any info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back